Friday, January 11, 2008

Miss Gulch of the Neighborhood

(Warning: The following post may contain some disappointing information.)


I didn't mention this before for a couple of reasons and mostly because I figured it was a one time thing, a fluke, if you will. Early on Christmas eve, I stepped out of the little side door of the garage to sneak an evil cigarette to inspect the garbage cans and was standing there by the gate in my red and green flannel pajamas. I could hear several little boys chatting away and it seemed like they were playing with Toby, the neighbors' cat. One of them yelled, "It got away!" I figured he was gonna run right under my gate to get away from the kids and he did. Well, through the wooden slats I could see a figure approaching and then MY GATE LATCH WAS CLICKED OPEN! I was in shock and without thinking I said, "What are you doing?" in my best imitation of the disgruntled apple tree from The Wizard of Oz. The boy screamed and ran and was saying to his co-horts, "Did you hear that?" Then another voice was saying "Do it AGAIN!" I then can make out the shape of this ballsy kid walking right back up to my gate. I said, in my regular voice, "Don't open that gate!" Same response. Now I was severely irritated and walked back into the garage. We have windows on our garage door and I walked up and saw this kid making his THIRD APPROACH! I banged on the glass, pointed at his face and yelled, "GET OUT OF MY YARD!" I was extremely irritated because my backyard is my sanctuary of outdoor privacy. I couldn't believe the gall of these kids to invade my personal space. I then decided to forget about it because it was Christmas eve.


~


Today the dog next door was barking his eyeballs out and I was wondering what he was so fired up about. He finally stopped barking and a short while later I decided to go out the back door to, uhm, get something from the deck and I stopped short just outside my door because I could hear these little boys being all snicketty gibbets nearby. I could tell they were by the neighbors' fence. Our houses in this neighborhood are stepped on different levels. The people with the cat are downhill, and the ones with the dog are uphill. We don't have a fence on the uphill side and the neighbor's fence doesn't start until a way back. So there was nothing between me and these kids but air. I thought I would just go back in the house and then, THEN they jumped down into my yard into my planter box of bamboo! I peeked around the bush by my patio that I was sort of hiding behind and all I could see were shoes and socks at the bottom of the bamboo. I had now reached my boiling point and stepped out and yelled, "What are you doing?!?"

For some reason I imagined I was scary, but then realized I was wearing grey sweats, a Michigan J. Frog T-shirt and had bed hair. One of the kids said, "Hiding." I said, "Well, you're hiding in MY bamboo in MY backyard! My yard is private! Go hide in your own backyard!" All I saw was shoes and socks flying out of the bamboo. I tried to call my neighbor because I had told her about the Christmas eve thing and she knew who the kids were, but she wasn't home. I then called the house that I thought she had said was their house and talked to the dad, but I had the wrong house. He did say he had a little boy that ran around with all the other little boys on the street and would talk to him. Sheesh! I've lived here for 6 1/2 years and never had kids in my backyard before. What's that all about?

14 comments:

Jammie J. said...

What the HELL! I would be so pissed!

We have neighborhood kids who keep hopping, uhhh, let me find a better word. They keep standing on a fire hydrant, climbing and then wriggling with their asses in the air for about 10 seconds while they get a better grip, then they pull themselves up and over the brick wall behind our house.

Then they proceed to traipse through the breezeway between my house and my neighbor's house. Which pisses me off because I have plants down that breezeway and they're not graceful kids because they're hauling their freakin' skateboards with them.

They think it's a shortcut to get to the skatepark, but it would make more sense to just go out to the street instead of all that finangling. So we put up lattice between our yards and snail glue on the brick wall.

Lo and behold, just before Christmas we went to look at lights in the neighborhood behind us and we see them trying to get over the fence. Tony gunned the car, pulled up behind them as they hopped the fence and proceeded to tear through the lattice. He then honked the horn and yelled at them at the top of his lungs, like to scare the crap right out of them, that did.

Cuz you know, Tony's such a small guy! :P I haven't seen them since, but my neighbors even said they stole their Halloween pumpkin they had on their doorstep. Can you imagine? Little punks.

Wow, that got really long, didn't it?

geewits said...

Jeanette,
~~So you know EXACTLY what I'm dealing with. I can't believe their parents haven't explained this. I live on a small cul-de-sac (with no skateboard park in sight!) so it's really odd. What's snail glue?

OldLady Of The Hills said...

That is too bad! would be very annoyed if that was my yard, too!
I find it interestung that they are so bold...Not really understandiung theu are on private property! Good Luck with this....!

Tai said...

Little rotters. But now, perhaps, they'll think it's a game and keep doing it? I hope not, but you know kids....

AND, I left this comment on your last post but I wasn't sure if you would see it, so I'm putting it here, too.
If you think you're going to come ALL the way to Vancouver and hang out with Josie without me, you've got another thing coming!
I'll be there...with bells on! (Well, maybe no bells, but you know what I mean.)

ticknart said...

It's about boredom, stupidity, entitlement, and parents who just don't care.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Try sprinkling some cayenne pepper around the gate; it works on squirrels.

geewits said...

Naomi,
~~Yeah, they seem rather dim.

Tai,
~~I was worried about the game thing, like "I dare you to in the mean lady's backyard!"

Ticknart,
~~Like I've said before, you are very wise.

gnightgirl,
~~hee hee.

Big Brother said...

Shotgun and rock salt, that's what the old farmer used to brandish when we trespassed in his apple orchard when I was a kid. Scared the bejezus out of us, but it sure was exciting.

geewits said...

Big Brother,
~~I like the idea, but I don't think that would go over well here.

Jo said...

Geewits, omigoodness, it's good to know that in this day and age of overprotective parents, little boys are still little boys. Did you ever play the game of ringing someone's doorbell and running away? Heh. Congratulations, you have now joined the generation of adults! You will be forever remembered as that cranky lady with the bed hair. I love it! I would discourage them from coming back into the yard, however.

I just saw Tai's comment, and yes, Tai has to come over and meet you when you come to Vancouver. We will have one day where you can meet Tai, Leslie and anyone else you want to meet. We will have FUN!!! We can sit on an outdoor deck somewhere and drink lots of beer. :-)

Scarlet said...

In college we talked about trespassing minors and one of the things I thought of when I read your post is if one of those kids gets hurt on your property, you could be liable (depending on their age). If it happens again, I would definitely find out who their parents are and give them a heads up. Maybe even post a sign.

Dave said...

Nothing like an ivasion of privacy! Too bad paint ball guns are illegal to fire off in a time like that... NOT that I am suggesting that!

geewits said...

Josie,
~~Ring doorbells and run away? Me? heh heh. I even did the stupid phone calls like "Do you have Olive Oil in a bottle?" Well you better let her out, cause here comes Popeye!" Deck sitting and beer drinking is my favorite pastime!

Scarlet,
~~You sound just like the neighbor that I've been talking to about this!

Dave,
~~I'd like a futuristic vaporizer gun or the Star Trek phaser set on "stun."

Jammie J. said...

It's this stuff: Link

It's not technically for snails, but it works on them as a barrier, too. Best of all, it's non-toxic and will wash off and it's highly effective for crawling insects, which include punk neighborhood kids! :)