Monday, January 28, 2008

My Brain is "Just Marred"

Hanson

I call the boys next door "The Hansons," because they look like the two Hanson boys on the left. If you are unfamiliar with Hanson, they were a popular music group some time back with a big annoying hit called "Mmmm Bop." They are brothers and the one good thing was that they actually wrote their own songs and actually played the instruments unlike regular "boy bands" that just sing and dance like The Pips, who were actually awesome. But I digress. I should change my name from Geewits to Digressia. See, I did it again. Okay, back to "the Hansons."

~

If you've been reading here long enough you know that I do not like to leave my house except to fly to other states to vacation. I find "going out" terribly tiresome and have a million rituals to go through to actually leave the house. I don't even check the mail. I do Meals on Wheels every Wednesday so I can be a productive citizen, but often do not go out any other day except some Saturdays. Last week I did not go out between Wednesdays, but I knew I had to go to the grocery store on Saturday. Since I had to go out anyway on Saturday, we did another walk around the neighborhood which was nice. Then we ate out at Razzoo's (a Cajun restaurant) and hit the grocery store.

~

Imagine my surprise when the phone rang today at 4:00. My husband had taken my truck to get the oil changed. He called to give me the horrible news tell me that the Duke game would not be telecast locally because Fox Sports would be running a Dallas Mavericks game. He suggested I find a sports bar that could get the east coast feed from Fox Sports. This was 4:00. The game was scheduled for 5:30. My brain went into "freakout zone." I finally found a nearby sports bar that could do this, and jumped in the shower at 4:30. I was playing the "Mission: Impossible" theme in my head, which is what I do when I know I have to hurry. I broke a (not having to catch a plane) record and was fully ready to go at 5:05.

~

We pulled out of our driveway and I noticed there were a giant pile of people in the driveway next door. The older Hanson boy's little red car was there in the driveway with "stuff" all over it and I saw the words "Just Married" written in white shoe polish. My brain did a flip, my chin hit my knees. I saw this same car just two months ago with "18 and legal" written on it in the same white shoe polish. I'm pretty sure he's still in high school. JUST MARRIED? I thought for sure I had hallucinated the whole thing, but my husband verified it. The whole ride to the sports bar I kept trying to wrap my brain around it. I finally decided we had misread the car. I'm thinking now that he got a tattoo and it said "Just Marred." I hope that's what it was. That makes more sense. Right? Right?

19 comments:

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Okay, this brought to mind this little joke.

At a wedding.
Girl:"Aren't you surprised that Tom and Jane are getting married?"

Guy: " Yes, you wouldn't have thought either of them were the settling down types."

Girl:"So what did you give them?"

Guy: "I don't give them more than a year!"

Okay, let's be generous and hope against the odds that Hanson look a like has a long and happy marraige.

Jazz said...

18 and married? Let's start the betting on how long it'll last.

Jo said...

Didn't one of the Hanson boys get marred at an early age as well? I seem to recall that happening.

Hopefully the marrage is that a word...? :-) will last longer than any of Pamela Anderson's. Didn't she have one that lasted 55 hours? No, that was Britney Spears.

ticknart said...

When my cousin was 17, and a junior in high school, her 19-year old boyfriend proposed to her. She laughed in his face. When he proposed after she turned 18, she laughed again. I never thought of her as being all that smart before that.

geewits said...

My guess is he got someone pregnant. In that case, I hope the marriage lasts for a while.

Josie,
~~I just looked that up. Taylor Hanson (I think he's the youngest) got married at 19 and has three kids!

Ticknart,
~~Wiseness runs in your family.

Cycling Goddess said...

Oh dear... 18 and marred errr married?? Why do they do it? Haven't they heard of living common-law? Oh not a commitment enough? Need a ring on yer finger to feel the love? lol

In some ways, I'm hoping he didn't get her pregnant otherwise, I predict it will be yet another child in a broken family. Or they could prove all of us wrong and last for decades.

Dave said...

The Hansons! Wow... How many letters did my daughter write them???? LOL And how many concerts did she go to??

Brings back a lot of memories. :-)

Leslie: said...

Either someone got pregnant or they're all strict southern baptists and just couldn't wait to take the plunge. *hee hee*

geewits said...

Downtowner,
~~Well HIS parents are still together, so he has probably learned how marital conflict resolution works.

Dave,
~~My daughter was New Kids on the Block.

Leslie,
~~I thought of that, too!

Scarlet said...

The Hanson Boys? They were around the same time Marky Mark was with that other boy band. Boy, you bring back all the old memories... ;)

As for those boys next door, maybe it was a joke. A bad one!

BTW, I've always wanted to ask you something about Meals on Wheels. Do you feel it's safe? I mean, I thought of volunteering that way here in Miami, but I just don't trust it would be safe to walk into a home and deliver food (as much as I love old folks). I have a hard time trusting strangers these days, especially here.

geewits said...

Scarlet,
~~All the Meals on Wheels clients have been screened and have a regular MOW caseworker that visits them once a month. MOW also has their relatives on file. Most of the people are decrepit. Unless someone went all demented and got scared and shot me, I can't imagine any problems. I could certainly overpower any of them. They are probably far more afraid of ME than I could ever be of them. As far as walking into the home, you usually only do that with people in wheelchairs. Otherwise they just come to the door and take the food. If you want to do it during your lunch hour make sure it is a route than really can be done in an hour. Otherwise you will be taking a long lunch once a week.

Tai said...

Gah!

geewits said...

Tai,
~~Exactly!

Russell said...

I enjoyed your comments and you are faster than me!! I don't think I could have made it out the door that fast!! I have not seen your blog for long, but am assuming you are BIG Duke fan! (Okay, that was a fairly easy assumption to make....!)

I laughed at your earlier post about the X-Ray glasses!!! I remember seeing those silly things in comic books! I used to think about ordering them for, well, the obvious reason any 12-year old kid would want to.....! I never did. I always had a feeling that they might not work QUITE as well as advertised.

I used to wonder how it was they would let you see a person without clothes on but not their bones! I mean, X-Ray glasses, right?? But when you are a kid and want to believe, well, you believe!

I have always wondered what exactly people DID see if they actually got a pair of them!

Take care.

geewits said...

Russell,
~~My brother ordered them and they made a fuffy outline around things. I guess the fuzzy outline was supposed to be the clothes you were looking through!

Ian Lidster said...

I was 'marred' twice and then I got 'married'. There's a huge difference.

Scarlet said...

Thanks for the info. I will look into it. I don't have all that much time now that I'm marred, but I'll find time to make a difference. ;)

Jocelyn said...

Not remember Hanson? What do you take me for?

I like a woman with priorities, btw. Good job on the quick shower...

Just marred is HILARIOUS.

geewits said...

Ian,
~~No kidding. Me too and neither of us are talking about tattoos.

Jocelyn,
~~Now I'm just afraid My Sweetie will think I can always get ready that fast.