Monday, July 09, 2007

Weekend Stuff

I'm going to do the weekend days in reverse order because Saturday's is a lot longer.
~
Sunday: We had originally planned to visit my BIL on Saturday but we changed it to Sunday. He looked good. His scar is healing, but he's not really happy about the way it is affecting his hairline. I pulled up my blog on Lisa's laptop and showed him a lot of the nice comments from you guys. He was very touched. He tired out after about two hours and went back to bed. He seemed in good spirits and was very talkative before he got tired. I guess it will be a while before he is totally back to normal. I can't imagine the frustration he must feel after being a big tough firefighter/paramedic and now being a "patient." I think he will be fine though.


Saturday was "Suburban Wild Kingdom Day." Because I am the consummate health nut, the first thing I do when I wake up is put on the t-shirt and shorts I took off before I went to bed, cross the hall from my bedroom to the garage, open the garage fridge, pop open a diet decaf Pepsi, and smoke a cigarette. After a few puffs, I usually amble over to the garage door windows to survey the neighborhood. I was not expecting to see that lizard doing the same exact thing.
~
Friday night we had seen a tiny kitten walk across our front "porch." I put that in quotation marks because basically our walkway goes up to our door. There is no real porch. Apparently it is actually some sort of crosswalk for nocturnal animals. Before we went to bed Friday night, I put some cat food out there. On Saturday, the food was still there. Saturday night as we were watching The French Connection (The first time for both of us, how crazy is that!?!) I saw the kitten come up to the plate of cat food. We paused the movie to try to get a better look at the kitten. Rufus was parked with his face practically against the glass door, but the kitten didn't seem fazed by him at all. We very slowly snuck up and were peaking around corners. That kitten seemed too little to even be eating dry cat food, but he/she was really going at it. Finally, My Sweetie was able to sneak right up to the door and sit. After about 4 minutes he/she noticed My Sweetie and took off across the front of the house heading east. (My Sweetie named him Hubert but I think it is a girl and secretly named her Elaine.) I went into the garage and opened the side door which faces east and sat down to smoke and tried to be as quiet as possible hoping she would go by. After a few minutes I heard the small sounds of an animal approaching and was practically holding my breath. Well instead of a cute kitten approaching from the south, a big ugly possum popped into the light from the garage from the north. I was NOT expecting that. And neither was the possum. We met eyes and both freaked out. He turned around and went back north (into our backyard) and I jumped up and closed the door. I went into the house and My Sweetie said, "Did you see it?" I said, "The possum? Did you?" I thought he had been smoking in the backyard. My Sweetie, I mean, not the possum. I ran to the back door and we both watched the possum hightail it across the back edge of the yard.
~
I went back into the garage to get a beer and when I came out My Sweetie said, "NOW there's another cat out there that looks just like Rufus!" Sure enough, and it was weird, another strange cat was out there eating the cat food. The cat looked just like Rufus did about a year ago, which just means it was smaller. So there's "Faux Rufus" eating the cat food and two feet away on the inside of the door is "Real Rufus" watching all of this and about to go crazy. It was a weird visual. When we tried to get closer, Faux Rufus ran away. I put a bowl of water out after that and a little later F.R. came back for water. The runtime for The French Connection is 104 minutes but I think it took us almost 3 hours to watch it.

4 comments:

Jo said...

Man, you lead a waaaaay more exciting life than I do. Phew. I don't think I could keep up with all that excitement!

Okay, it's official, the next time I get a cat I'm going to name her Elaine. I can't think of a better name for a cat. :-)

Cheers,
Josie

Anonymous said...

It's really a male cat and it's name is really Hubert!

geewits said...

Hey Josie,
I'm guessing you are being sarcastic. The truth is we are very easily amused. My Sweetie was very tired and embarassed that he used "it's" for "its" in his comment. He came in the room and said, "I need to go to bed, I just used "its" wrong on your blog. I said, "Only Josie will notice."
:)

Jo said...

No, I LOVE the name Elaine. I was thinking about that this afternoon. I would love to get a cat just so I could name it Elaine, even if it's male.

It's its??? Who knew??? Ha!