Wednesday, July 04, 2007

The Animal Mystery

In the 15 or 20 minute "rain break" between the normal daily drizzle and the deluge that caused more flooding today, I decided to check my tomato plants to see if some were ripe. As I was walking across the deck I noticed what looked like an unripe cherry tomato in the corner of the bench.



Upon closer inspection, I saw this:


So apparently SOMETHING picked a tomato, carried it to the corner of the bench, took a bite and left it. I walked back over to check the plant for any damage and there was none. So whatever it was carefully plucked the one little tomato. What could it have been? Do squirrels eat tomatoes? Can a possum pluck a tomato without damaging the plant? Wouldn't a racoon have had a bigger bite and have just eaten the whole thing? Why would a squirrel pluck a tomato?
~
At least I had something to think about besides the weather.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh and for 4TH OF JULY CLICK HERE. This is one of the coolest things ever. I found it many years ago. The more you click, the more fireworks. And they explode wherever you click. Happy 4th!

7 comments:

Jazz said...

Obviously some small rodent who found your tomatoes intriguing.

Ian Lidster said...

I think it was an Alien.

Ian

Jo said...

That is so bizarre. It wouldn't be a bird, because a bird couldn't carry it there. Maybe a squirrel? Whoever it was, I guess they didn't like it, so they left it nearly in the corner of your bench.

I like your cat.

geewits said...

Jazz,
I guess I'll never know what it was. I'm just really glad it didn't damage the plant.

Ian,
An alien with a very tiny bite?

Josie,
Thanks. I bought the cat in memory of my cat that died a few years ago and it used to be in a pretty bed that had a lovely rose of Sharon in the center. The tree died and I've been trying to take the whole bed apart, but I couldn't shovel the rocks out because of the tendonitis in my shoulder and... anyway, I picked the cat up and just set it there to move it out of the way and I noticed one day that I kinda liked it there. That seems to happen to me a lot. I'm the Accidental Decorator.

ticknart said...

It was a squirrel. When my parents had cherry tomatoes on their back deck the squirrels would come down, pick the tomatoes, throw them away, and then naw on the plants. They're strange little creatures.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Wasn't me.

Like the fireworks. Wasted 10 minutes playing at that site.

geewits said...

LGS,
Yeah I love that site. If you start in a top corner and go diagonally down very fast you can get the whole diagonal to almost explode at once!