Thursday, July 12, 2007

New Words

I read in the USA Today today (that's always funny when you say it out loud) that Merriam-Webster had announced its list of new words to be added to their dictionary. In honor of that I would like to add a new word to the English language.

grimme

Grimme is a combination of "grim" and "me," and is also pronounced that way (grim* me). A grimme is a person that sucks the joy right out of a room. They have no inner light and thusly see everything in the negative. If there is an opposite to "rose-colored glasses," a grimme is wearing them. They are the "glass half empty" people. They are all "woe is me" and expect the worst of themselves and others. Because of their negative nature, they distrust all occurrences and motivations. When bad things actually happen they are momentarily happy and filled with smug self-satisfaction.

I think we have all known a grimme or two. If you are lucky enough to have never met a grimme, you are lucky indeed.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't want any grimme's around me! I've met a few though.

Ian Lidster said...

I'm liking 'grimme' and think I'll use it. People who suck the energy out of a room should be assassinated.
Oh -- OK if I steal the meme in your previous post? I like it.
Cheers,
Ian

geewits said...

Lolo,
Durham is FULL of them!

Ian,
I "stole it" from LGS, myself.

geewits said...

And besides, all memes should be "free to a good home.""

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Please steal the meme......I wouldn't want to be labelled a grimme and assasinated! Lol.

geewits, you are kind of the anti-grimme. Would that make you a "happyI"?

Jammie J. said...

Is Eeyore a Grimme?

geewits said...

LGS,
Thanks. I'd like to think of myself as "the anti-grimme."

Jeanette,
Yeah. I guess he is.

Jo said...

Geewits, I have just officially stolen this word. "grimme". Omigosh. Yes, I know a few grimmes.