Monday, July 30, 2007

An Open Apology for My Lie

This is an open apology for the inadvertent lie I have been telling for years. For as long as I can remember, when asked, "What's your least favorite household chore?" I always said, "Mopping." I was wrong. I now know that mopping is a snap. It was the "mop-prepping" that I hated: moving things, sweeping, gathering dust bunnies. On Saturday, My Sweetie did the prep work and I mopped all four tiled rooms and it was nothing. I guess my new answer to the household chore question will be dusting. Rather than send you to the link from October about why I hate dusting, I will paste the pertinent part here:

I also realized today that I have probably never gone one full day without sneezing ("I could not snop steezing!"). Maybe when I was in Hawaii, but I'm not sure. I'm terribly allergic to house dust which is a Catch-22. If I don't dust, dust will accumulate. If I dust, even with a dust mask, I will feel sick and miserable for two days and go through a whole box of kleenex. One of the main components of house dust is human skin cell flakes. I KNOW I'm allergic to THAT because I have sneezing fits when I file my nails. I vacuum/dust a lot and that is better than cloth dusting, but it still makes my nose and eyes run. I also use Nasonex but am too goofy to remember to use it every day. Plus I think it costs about $500 an ounce. Well maybe not that much, but close. I guess I should just buy stock in Kleenex.

There are no good household chores, but each person seems to have a rating system. In an ideal world we could all go to each others' homes and do the chores we do not hate and if there were enough people, everything would get done. For example, I would do all of your laundry if you would do all of my dusting (although someone else would have to do any necessary ironing). I rarely iron anything, but if I had a lot of ironing, I would trade that out for cleaning bathtubs. Or I could clean the kitchen for your dusting. Hmmmm. That really would be nice. Maybe I should offer this barter on Craigslist.

8 comments:

Cliff said...

I'll trade you cleaning the toilet for, uh...anything else.
I have read some of your blogs and think your cat would have preferred a mural of the sand on the beach to be place behind the toilet. I'm just sayin.

Jazz said...

Well, this little anecdote proves that your sweetie should be doing all the dusting all the time.

End of problem.

Ian Lidster said...

I opt for vacuuming. Like you, I'm allergic to dust, and so the vacuum accomplishes that task and getting lost in the noise allows me time to think. I also like seeing how far I can go in sucking up bigger items. Doesn't always work. But, I think using a vacuum appeals to the masculine penchant for power tools.
Ian

geewits said...

Cliff,
Unfortunately, Barney will never get to see the bathroom. We have to keep the doors closed because our cat Rufus will unroll the toilet paper and rip it to shreds.

Jazz,
You are wise beyond your years. Now how to go about this....

Ian,
I like to vacuum. It's instant gratification. I also like to drill stuff and now I want an air hammer (nail gun?) too.

Jo said...

Catch up time. Phew... I showed the munchkins pictures of Barney, and they both decided he is the cutest cat they have ever seen.

And they love your forest throne room. Actually, it's really beautiful. You have a great eye. I like the candle too.

Since you're dusting, will you come to my house and do mine? My house looks like a tornado hit it right now. Feathers from pillow fights are everywhere.

*sigh*

Jo said...

Oh, and the only chore I actually like is washing windows, so I will trade that for anything.

Tai said...

I'd actually do the dishes with out complaing.
But we'll both need a dustslave I guess.
And MAYBE I'd sweep the floors.

geewits said...

Josie,
I could use the help on my windows. We have never washed our windows in 6 years except the bottom panes on the low windows on the inside where the cat nose slime builds up.

Tai,
I have no problems with dishes or even the whole kitchen. When I was in 7th grade I used to clean my boyfriend's kitchen every day just because it was so gross. His mother loved me.