Monday, January 24, 2011

Murking My Brain

We saw Black Swan today and I wish I hadn't. And don't take that the wrong way. It's a good movie. It's just that it's a good movie I shouldn't have watched.
~
I couldn't wait to see this movie because I had somehow gotten the notion that it was a ballet movie and I love ballet. I have taken many, many ballet classes. I went into college as a dance major. (Are you laughing too?) And I thought this was going to be a ballet movie.
~
It's not a ballet movie.
~
Black Swan is similar to Roman Polanski's 1965 film Repulsion. You get trapped inside the head of someone that is going insane and, well, trapped is a good word. When we left the theater we were both all heeby jeeby. I wanted to run home and watch Meet Me In St. Louis or something to clear my brain. But I had to run in the grocery store to grab three things on the way home, and just being in the grocery store helped.
~
When we got home we watched "The Simpsons." And then some stand up comedy. Jim Gaffigan was hilarious. I'm okay now.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm...haven't seen Repulsion, but your description of the movie reminds me of the movie Being John Malkovich. They are inside his head. It's weird. But I kind of liked it. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I have to see this. 'Cept I'll know what it's about...

Jazz

VioletSky said...

one very good reason to read reviews before going to any movie!

Mr. Jazz said...

I'm sure The Simpsons have all the ingredients to set you back straight...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the warning!

geewits said...

Cabcree,
~~I thought the John Malkovich movie was a comedy. No?

Jazz,
~~Go on a sunny afternoon.

V,
~~I had read reviews. The writers did not know that it would personally creep me out I guess.

Mr. Jazz,
~~Yes!

Ian,
~~See above advice to Jazz.

Anonymous said...

if the movie was funny it fell flat in that dept for me. :) maybe it was funny to someone else.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I haven't seen Black Swan, and probably won't for a couple of years...if ever, after this review.

Still Jim Gaffigan would cheer anyone up; he's one of my favorite comedians.