Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mixed Signals

Yesterday I went out to the garage and stepped off the rugs to look at Barney. (We bought a little radiator for him and set up a little box with a towel in it so he can stay warm out there.) As I stepped onto the cold garage floor I thought I had stepped in water. I looked down at the floor and it wasn't wet so I checked the bottom of my sock to see if it was wet and saw that there was a hole in my sock. I thought it was funny that my brain registered "wet" instead of "hole in sock."
~
That reminded me of something that happened years ago. In the early 90's I had a terrible ache in my upper left jaw and went to the dentist. The dentist examined my mouth and told me that my teeth were fine. He said that I probably had a sinus infection. He also told me that the same nerve is used for sinuses and upper back teeth. I did not know that. So I went to the doctor and yes I had a bad sinus infection and my doctor fixed me up with meds.
~
About 3 or 4 years later I got the same thing and went to the doctor. The doctor examined me and told me my sinuses were fine and that I probably had a tooth problem. He told me that the teeth and sinuses use the same nerve. I knew that. So then I went to the dentist and he told me I had a bruised tooth nerve caused by biting onto a bone chip or something hard. I had never heard of that. Anyway I was thinking about all that and wondered what I would do if I ever had that pain again. Would I go to the doctor first or the dentist? I guess I'd just flip a coin.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

From wet socks to sinus problems in a three paragraph post. Wonderful!

So now I know why my teeth ache when I have a bad cold and my sinuses are stuffed up. I thought it was just the pressure in the sinuses...

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I wonder if the doctor and the dentist are in cahoots.

geewits said...

Jazz,
~~Nope. Just the same nerve. Sort of like abdominal pain is the same for two different things.

LGS,
~~No. They are in North Richland Hills.

Carole said...

...and I take a migraine pill. That is often exactly how my migraines come on. I thought for years that they were my left wisdom tooth acting up. Trigeminal nerve is the nerve that connects all the sinus, teeth, facial sensations.

Anonymous said...

Referred pain is a very weird thing. I once had a rotator cuff thing in my shoulder. The pain traveled well down into my chest and back and I thought maybe I was having a heart attack. Blessedly, no such thing.

geewits said...

Carole,
~~Nerve name dropper!

Ian,
~~Thank goodness. And heart burn does that to people too.

Anonymous said...

скачать фильм Спецназ Второй мировой. Гений взрыва (2010) SATRip Скачать видео фильмы, кино, клипы, музыку Антарктика Ровно в полдень Battle Position
Electro-House music LIFE vol.12 (2010) Скачать видео фильмы, кино, клипы, музыку Phantasmagoria: A Puzzle of Flesh Переступить через грань Beasts & Bumpkins
Клубные новинки - Лето 3 (2010) Скачать видео фильмы, кино, клипы, музыку Fruity Garden Налетъ Defender
Neuropunk Gold Edition – THE HEADSHOT 2 Скачать видео фильмы, кино, клипы, музыку Нигде в Африке Чемпион мира Мятеж
Beautiful music hits Vol.2 (2010) Скачать видео фильмы, кино, клипы, музыку Meteos Wars Building World Myth II: Worlds
Video Kids - The Invasion Of The Spacepeckers (1985) FLAC Скачать видео фильмы, кино, клипы, музыку 10Six Uno Rush Deer Drive
скачать музыку The Chemical Brothers - Further (2010) Скачать видео фильмы, кино, клипы, музыку Voyeur II Люпен III: Замок Калиостро Репортаж
AFTERLIFE - ELECTROSENSITIVE (2009) FLAC Скачать видео фильмы, кино, клипы, музыку Cocoto Kart Racer Siege Online Мошенники