Thursday, January 27, 2011

Life Is Like A Box Of Chocolates...

I had an easy day planned. I had an appointment to get my hair colored at 4:00. Then I was going to go to the grocery store. I did my normal Wednesday chore (the bed sheets) on Tuesday just to make things easier.
~
My mother's second bladder cancer procedure went well and was easier than the first one. The doctors were all thumbs up. I couldn't reach my mother at home at first and was concerned that something bad had happened and they were held up at the hospital, so I called my step-dad's cell and they were at a restaurant! For lunch! No catheter this time. All was good.
~
I got my hair colored and afterwards was sitting in the parking lot in my truck drinking my mocha and having a smoka. I was supposed to go to the grocery store next but had no list and no ideas. I called my best friend and we discussed some food ideas. I was in no big hurry because My Sweetie has class from 5:30 to 7:00 and it was just before 6:00. We hung up and I pulled out of the parking lot onto Harwood road. My phone rang. I generally don't do phone and driving but Harwood road is an exception. It's a simple road. No twists, no turns, no heavy traffic with a 40 mph speed limit.
~
I answered the phone and it was My Sweetie. He asked "Where are you?" I answered, "On Harwood heading to the grocery store. Where are YOU?" He told me he was at the QT (a convenience store near our house) and he was waiting for a tow truck. He has had terrible luck with his car all month. First the battery died, then the cables weren't properly connected and it died again and then he got new tires and then one of the new tires went flat because "it wasn't properly seated." So here he was again.
~
I got to the QT pretty quickly and he was one big frayed nerve. This new car bullfrack had happened on top of a bad day at work. I did the job I was born to do and got him calmed down and in a way better mood. As we followed the tow truck to the dealership, which was fortunately still open, we discussed all the positives: IF his day at work hadn't gone poorly he would have made it to class and come out at 7:00 with a dead car all the way down in Arlington. I would have had my house clothes on and would have food going on the stove. As it was, he was right by the house, close to the dealership, I was dressed and in my truck and on the road already, and on top of that, the weather was way milder than it has been in ages. (And the reason he stopped at the QT was to get me beer and I had a small ice chest in my truck because I always take beer to the hair salon, so I had cold beer for all of this.)
~
So I didn't get to the grocery store but I had the stuff to make a pasta carbonara. We ate a little later than usual, but it ended up seeming like a regular night and everything was okay. He'll take my truck to work tomorrow and we'll find out what's going on with that stupid car. Then we'll go from there.... You never know what you're going to get.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

They let you drink beer at the salon? Damn, you wouldn't get that here.

- Jazz

Anonymous said...

lol...you take beer to the hair salon? never tried...of course, I don't drink beer either. :)

Mr. Jazz said...

I'm making an appointment to get a haircut :-)

geewits said...

Jazz,
~~Ask your hair dresser. You might be surprised. I'm discreet and it's in a huggy. The owner saw it once and asked me if I had one for him.

Cab,
~~Well that makes sense.

Mr. Jazz,
~~You're always with the funny!

Carole said...

Gee, your post really resonates with me this week. Funny I've been thinking the exact same thing about never knowing what you're going to get; and the thought started coming over and over again ever since the end of last week. We must send brain waves to one another we're in such close proximity. Synchronicity!

Anonymous said...

you know I thought about it later...and I have seen people with beer in the hair salon. where I go there is a bar next door and I've seen a woman come back with a beer in hand and get her hair cut. :)

geewits said...

Carole,
~~That's possible.

Cab,
~~There's a bar next door? I wish every place had a bar next door!