Thursday, January 01, 2009

2009 and I'm all Blabby




Happy New Year everybody! With all the news of Caroline Kennedy saying "you know" every three words it made me look at myself and I think we all use our own "padding." I call it talk padding. My own personal ones are "so" and "well" and because I pretty much type on here like I talk, I know you know I use those words A LOT. I guess the republicans are just getting back at the dems for the Sara Palin stuff. Oh and I also say "A LOT" a lot because of Stephen King's story about the horrible clown. I love that line in the show when the creepy dad says, "I worry about you A LOT." So blame Stephen King for that one. I don't know where "so" and "well" came from. (On a totally unrelated note, when my daughter was young she also started sentences with "well" except she always pronounced it as "wool" which always made me laugh.)

~

Barney finally has figured out the cat door. It's been a long process. First, he thought it was a portal to hell. Then he thought it was a one-way door. Then he thought it was a one-way door the other way. Lolo and I have figured out that there is a direct correlation to a cat's stupidity and their sweetness. And, well, Barney is very sweet.

~

I mentioned a while back that the San Diego trip wasn't happening this January. Three years in a row MY Sweetie has gone there for a MLB golf thing and then I join him for the weekend. This year it is in Orlando, Florida. This is a good thing. I have an old friend from junior high school that I've known forever that lives there. I haven't seen him since Dad died in 1998 and since then he had a bad cancer episode and surgery and barely made it, so I can't wait to see him. Also we will be staying at a fun-looking place. I'm sure it won't be as cool as the Gaslamp District in San Diego, but it will be nice to see my friend.
~
I had a nice surprise Tuesday night when my daughter called and said she wanted to do Meals on Wheels with me. First of all she works nights and that requires getting up very early for her and second (of all?) she had just done it with me last Wednesday so I figured she was tired of me. But she showed up and we had a very nice day except for the grocery store which was like the 3rd level of hell. We joked about it afterwards saying "How many people would say that visiting someone in a nursing home/rehab place would be a million times better than going to the grocery store?" Just us I guess.

That's a picture of Kate outside of my tailor shop. There is a dog grooming place next door. She really loves dogs. She didn't get that from me. The reason we were at the tailor shop is I was getting some new black jeans hemmed. On January 12th we are going to the Bass performance Hall to see Carol Burnett. I had to get an "outfit" for the show and the black jeans are part of it. And if you are rolling your eyes about the jeans part, then you don't live in Texas. Black jeans are dress clothes here. Plus, the whole outfit is cute, but hard to explain, so you will have to wait.

~

Scarlet tagged me with that six random things about yourself meme although I never follow the rules and tag other people and whatnot. I'm going to go ahead and do it here since I feel all writey.

1. I have severe social phobia anxiety and take medication for it. I was very close to being a complete shut-in until I got the right medication. When people meet me they always laugh and say "No way!" and it sort of irritates me. Yeah I'm very gregarious in person but it's the medicine and the beer.

2. My favorite celebrity moment was being onstage with Rodney Dangerfield.

3. I was mistaken for a boy a few times when I was a kid and although I dressed like a boy it was still somewhat traumatic. I always say I grew up in the Marcia Brady era but I looked more like Peter Brady. The worst moment was when one of my Dad's superiors asked, "Oh, is this your other son?" Dad said, "NO! This is my beautiful daughter!" The weird part is that I was embarrassed for my Dad. It was a very awkward moment.

4. This one is REALLY ODD: I've had several plastic surgeries (abdomen, upper eyes and breasts) but I just don't get fake fingernails. I don't even paint my nails. What's with the nails?

5. I love people and hate people. I'm a human-loving misanthrope. It's like I despise people as a whole, but love individual people. And I'm the same way with dogs.

6. Speaking of people, I used to have an "all or none" mentality about people. I've been working on that and have gotten better.

~

Well it's 2009 and I need to go to sleep.

10 comments:

Cycling Goddess said...

I'm happy to be the first one on your blog to wish you Happy New Year :) I can identify to many things on your meme.

Take care.

Scarlet said...

First of all, HAPPY NEW YEAR!! :)

I normally don't tag anyone, but I really wanted to know more about the people I tagged, and I was hoping you'd do something like this...and let me tell you, it's awesome!

Had I not tagged you, I would've never read your Rodney Dangerfield story (which I loved, btw) or known that as a child you dressed like a boy. I can see you being somewhat of a tomboy.

It's funny, I won't get fake nails either...or boobs. I don't want anything I need to "add" to myself. I wouldn't mind a boob LIFT in the next few years!

Thanks for playing the game. I loved reading your six!

VioletSky said...

Well, 2 posts in a row where you deliberately reveal yourself!

When I type my posts, I have to go back and edit out all the "So's" I tend to start sentences with.

I also tend to end sentences with a preposition.

So, anyway, HAPPY NEW YEAR to you.

Carole said...

Happy New Year Gee!

I use some Stephen Kingisms of my own too. His "language" has a way of sticking!

Great pic of Kate. Very cute!

geewits said...

Urban,
~~I'm guessing the part about misanthropy. Right? Happy New Year back!

Scarlet,
~~It was fun and by the way you do have an add-on: your hair color. I guess we don't have to count that.

VioletSky
~~Yeah, I also start sentences with "yeah."

Carole,
~~Well it's all fun and games until someone loses a weenie.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

A VERY GAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU & YOURS....!

What is Carol Burnett doing there....Performing?

I hadn't heard about Carolyn Kennedy and 'you know'.....Hmmmmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

I don't get nails either. Someone asked me a few weeks ago if I'd ever gotten a gift certificate to have my nails done and I said, I've never had a manicure in my life and they looked at me like I had 3 heads. "Doesn't interest me," I said. "What's the point?" She shook her head and said, "You're soooooo old-fashioned."

What a strange thing to say.

ticknart said...

Carol Burnett! You lucky, lucky lady!

geewits said...

Naomi,
~~Yes, Carol is doing her one woman show. She talks to the audience and reminisces. I saw clips of her 2007 Santa Fe show on the "American Masters" piece on her, so I know what to expect. I can't wait.

Xup,
~~Old fashioned, huh? How odd because my mom gets manicures. My best friend does have paper thin nails so I sort of get why she does it, but I've seen too many horror stories on TV and it really just doesn't interest me.

Ticknart,
~~I guess so. I was so excited when I found out she was coming. AND to Bass Hall. I wouldn't have gone to Dallas.

Jazz said...

Heh.... I always used to be mistaken for a boy too. Tis an awful thing...

Happy new year to you too.