Monday, January 19, 2009

Carol Burnett and the Weird Event

The reason I've been such a blog slacker is because I'm in an organizational/cleaning energy spell and you've got to go with those when you get them. I'm surprised I got the Florida post up.
~
We got home on Monday around 3:15 or so and the show was at 8:00, so I wasn't in a giant hurry. I unpacked my make-up and other things I would need and did little things like checking my e-mail, phone messages and setting up the humidifier. Barney was calmly sleeping on one of the barstools in here and didn't even freak when we came in. (Is barstool one word? Probably not.) Anyway, I got myself showered, and fixed my hair kinda cute and put on my Carol suit. Then I walked down to Carole's house to get my mail and garage remote and gather compliments. (My bad.) We drove downtown and then unfortunately a crazy wind picked up and blew my hair all to hell. As soon as we walked into 8.0 for dinner, I went straight to the bathroom to try to repair my hair. Since I had a tiny metallic silver clutch purse, I didn't have much to work with. We had a nice dinner and found we still had some time to kill so decided to amble down to The Flying Saucer. My Sweetie had one of his weird foreign beers and I had a tangy hard cider. Pear, I think. We then made our way back into the wind for the third time to go to Bass Hall. I got a glass of wine and tried to tidy up my hair one last time. Then we found our seats. This is the view from our seats:
I knew cameras weren't allowed, so I took this really quickly before the show started. I was getting all emotional about seeing Carol Burnett and decided that even though I had about 4 questions in my head to ask, I wasn't going to ask one. And I must not have been the only person too shy to ask a question. It seemed sort of slow going there for a while. She had a giant screen behind her and would eventually turn a question into a story that led to the clips she had brought. I actually slipped out during her clip segment about all the famous singers that she had had duets with because I can only go so long without "going." One of the questions I was going to ask was "Do you still watch the soap 'All My Children'?"
~
Carol actually started saying at one point that she watches a a soap and that she had missed it that day because it comes on so early here. She asked does anyone watch "All My Children?" and some lady down front had raised her hand and when Carol asked her what happened the lady said, "I recorded it." Well, being Miss Information over here, I jumped up and started talking. At the same time a microphone person ran up and Carol said, "Speak into the microphone." I said, "We're on a one day delay here so the episode that aired today would have been the one you saw on Friday." She said, "Oh, well let me tell you what happened." and everyone laughed and I sat down and was all OH. My God. I just spoke to Carol Burnett!!! My Sweetie was looking at me and laughing because he knew how freaked out I was.
~
There wasn't a lot of show left after that and she ended the show by showing the classic clip of her last show when she sang "I'm so glad we had this time together." Then she was lit up and sang along with the end of the song. She was gorgeous and funny and I'm so glad I was there. The whole ride home, we were talking about how shocked we were that we woke up in Florida, flew home and went downtown for a night out. And still felt fine.
~
~ THE WEIRD THING
So here's the weird thing that happened about two and a half weeks ago. I was sitting on the couch watching TV after My Sweetie had gone to bed. That part is all normal. I think I was watching "Frasier." Suddenly I saw a bright flash up in a place that has no light and heard a POP!/TING! sound like when a lightbulb blows. My first instinct would be to think I had a ministroke or LSD flashback or something, but Barney (my cat) was between me and the "flash" and jerked his head up and was staring up there where the wall meets the ceiling. Where the phantom flash happened. It sort of reminded me of the old cube camera flashbulbs from the 70's.
~
I was really weirded out and kept looking at Barney, who had actually stopped licking himself and walked forward to study the spot. I'm so glad he was there or I would have thought I had some sort of brain flip. Since Barney had reacted to it, I knew it was real, so concluded that I would be able to find a rational explanation. I checked every lightbulb within 20 feet in every direction and nothing was blown. Not only that, but after thinking about it, a cat would not be fooled by an echo but would have turned toward the actual source of the sound. Here's my "artist's interpretation" of the event:

I've thought about that a lot since it happened. I have absolutely no idea what the heck it was, but I am so glad Barney was there to see it with me. Have any of you ever experienced an odd flash from nowhere like this? It was my first and I hope my last.

12 comments:

VioletSky said...

OMG, YOU talked to Carol Burnett. And I know you (sortof). I am so thrilled by that. For you, I mean.

But no, that flash thing is new to me.

Good to have you back though, I've missed these weird events in your life!

Scarlet said...

How exciting to have spoken to Carol Burnett! She's so funny and full of life. I wish someone could've taken a photo or a clip of that moment.

The photo with the flash is interesting and so is the story behind it. OMG! I have never experienced anything like this, nor do I want to. Things like that REALLY freak me out...especially if it happens in my home.

Keep us posted on this one!

Jazz said...

Wow. Carol Burnett! I'd love to see her.

As for the flash, I've never experienced anything like that, but I remember once I was reading a book at about midnight and the cats (we had five at the time) were all with me in the living room. Suddenly all five of them turned their heads to a point in the corner of the living room and were totally focused on it. Nothing I did could catch their attention. Then, all of a sudden, Charlot stood up, went to the corner of the room and started "chatting" while looking up at the place they all were staring. He talked like that for about 30 seconds and then all the cats at exactly the same time started acting normal again. It was truly bizarre and freaked me right out. Until he died, Charlot would periodically go to that corner, stare up at the ceiling and "chat" for a few seconds... It totally weirded me out.

Carole said...

Gee, very cool about talking to Carol Burnett! I knew how much you wanted to, and just had a "feeling" it would happen. By the way, your outfit was stylin' and you looked gorgeous that night, just in case anybody did get it on tape and it ends up showing up on youtube. You never know these days! haha

Now that I've seen your artist's rendition of the weird thing, I have a theory as to what happened, ya know...besides the poltergeist theory. Have you ever heard about lightning leaders? Apparently the ground actually sends up a "leader" that the lighting coming out of the sky connects with. It amazed me when I first heard about it.

I think your pop/flash was that in reverse! We have had so much static electricity in the air, and electronics are terrible about build up for static electricity, that somehow your television underneath that spot and the roof, interacted with some weird electrostatic event. I notice how it is sort of between the tv and the metal roof vent. At least I won't get creeped out at night thinking about it if I have a theory! ;)

Ian Lidster said...

A chat with Carol Burnett, what a rush. I think she's a comedic genius. I envy the hell out of you.

As for the flash, I nod to what Jazz said; cats see things we don't. I don't want to know what they see.

Anonymous said...

I was also thinking it had to do with lightening. My grandma once had lightening in the house. It zapped in, made a popping noise and a flash of light and zapped out again.

Jammie J. said...

That's a pretty special experience you had to talk to Carol Burnett. Hopefully, after all that hair-putting-in-place efforts it stayed in place!

Can't say I've ever had a flash experience... although I do use my cats as watchdogs to figure out if there's something scary outside. :)

geewits said...

VioletSky,
~~It was thrilling to talk to her. I was all gidd the rest of the night!

Scarlet,
~~It was almost TOO exciting!

Jazz,
~~Wow. I'll always wonder what the cats saw.

Carole,
~~Thanks. I don't know why I didn't have My Sweetie take a picture of my outfit. Your electrostatic theory seems sound.

Ian,
~~If you ever get the chance, go see her. In my case I saw what the cat saw.

Xup,
~~That sounds like it but it was not lightening outdoors.

Jammie,
~~The hair didn't fully recover. Barney lets me know if someone is in the yard, or is approaching the door.

ticknart said...

The flash is obvious:
You had too much personality that day and a sparkle had to escape or your head would have exploded.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I'm happy for you that you got to speak to Ms. B. She is an amazingly talebted woman and as nice as she is talented. I have known her since arounf 1954-55....We followed one another at Kenny Welch's Apt./Studio...He was writing a Nightclub Act for her and he was writing one for me, too....I worked with her daughter Carrie a few years before she died--also a very talented young woman. Ken & Mitzie continue to work with Carol and are very very close to her, still....I haven't seen her in a few years now, because of my confinement...But I hear about her from Kenny. It sounds like that show of hers was a HUGE Success!

That "flash" thing was indeed, weird! I don't have a clue...But I bet someone will know, or at least have a good idea.

geewits said...

ticknart,
~~That's hilarious! I love that.

Naomi,
~~I thought about mentioning you to her, but couldn't figure out how to make it a question. You're lucky you got to meet her. She's really something isn't she?

Anonymous said...

Just had to comment because I saw a flash yesterday also and I've been googling like crazy trying to find out what it was. About 9 of us were gathered in my mom's kitchen at around 2pm yesterday. All lights were off and suddenly we saw what we thought was a camera flash, but nobody had a camera! Everyone in the room saw it. It came from the ceiling where there are no fixtures... and no lightning either, it was about 107 degrees yesterday (northern california).