Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Florida Trip

Don't get me wrong, I'm as sad as everyone else about the current state of the economy, but being a bit of a social phobe, I have to admit how much I really enjoyed the relative emptiness of the resort we visited. It was pretty obvious that the whole place is set up for crowds. Here are some examples:
1-The bathrooms at Citywalk were down long wide halls and had like a gazillion stalls.
2-The restaurants all had lighted signs announcing seating time and all said "0"
3-That book in the hotel room that explains stuff had "reservations recommended" for all of their restaurants and that was just silly.
4-I never had to wait for a beer, restroom or food anywhere.
5-We had outstanding service everywhere like they were so darn glad to see us.
~~
You know how when you have great expectations, you seem to get more easily disappointed? Well, to be quite honest, I was all, well it's not San Diego but I'll try to have fun. In other words, I had NO expectations and I had a GREAT time. Even my flight was fine and seemed short. And I loved my driver. He sounded just like Thomas Hayden Church (The cheater in Sideways) and I love voices and I loved that guy's voice, although I couldn't think of the actor's name at the time.
~~
The hotel was fun. It's like all these little buildings grouped around a large piazza with a little harbor with boats and ducks. The ducks were real. You'll see the "buildings" in later pictures. On the inside were a trillion photo op spots, so I narrowed it down to just a few:

After we walked around and explored the inside, we went out onto the piazza and settled at The Thirsty Fish. We were sitting outside enjoying all the great live music when these ducks came running up:

At first we couldn't figure out why they were so interested, then I remembered that My Sweetie had a got a bit of lime pulp on his lip and had grabbed it and tossed it. I guess that's all the ducks needed to see. We finally went to Sal's and had a light dinner and went to our room to watch "Saturday Night Live." Sunday morning, we went down to eat at the main place and this was my view from our table:
The birds were quite aggressive and one tiny bird settled on top of the seat next to me. I held up a thin french fry thinking he'd fly away, but no! He did a crazy hop toward me flapping like a madman and grabbed the whole fry! My Sweetie laughed and laughed at my shocked expression. Fortunately, the giant glittery silken ravens waited until we left the table to attack it. I would have taken a picture but My Sweetie took the camera back to our room to drop off a shot glass I had bought for Lo and to take some pics of me from our window. Here's three of them (I'm the tiny white line in front of the corner of the restauarant in the first one):





That left set of stools in the picture above is where we sat the night before with the ducks. The music was really great Saturday night. They had just played some song I loved and I thought how perfect it would be to hear "The Girl From Ipanema" and then thought better of requesting it since we were in Fake Italy and not Fake Portugal, then they played it. That was great. After lunch we walked over to the dock to take the boat to City Walk

City Walk was fun. They had music blasting all over the place and lots of fun things to look at and more photo op places like this giraffe:

There was an NBA store/restaurant/bar place that we stopped in for a beer and this was in the bathroom:

Mostly we hung out at Margaritaville although we did stop in at Bob Marley's bar. This is me looking indecisive on the "Porch of Indecision" at Margaritaville:

We were pretty buzzed when it was time to head back and when we walked up to the boat dock there was quite a crowd so we decided to walk all the way back. This was looking back at City Walk from the path:


And those two ducks in the lower right? They were on a boogie board! What the heck?:

We rested a bit after getting back or maybe went to the bar, then we ate and My Sweetie crashed. I watched The Queen on TV and went to bed. The next morning as we packed, I said, "I wish I had called the car service to get that cool man that sounded like that actor." He even let me smoke in the car. Then as I sat on the stone bench out front drinking my last beer, a car pulled up and it was him! And exactly at that moment I remembered the actor's name. We had a nice ride to the airport and a pleasant flight and had plenty of time to get ready to go downtown to see Carol Burnett. That will be my next post.

11 comments:

Jazz said...

Wow, sounds like a great time. Wish I had been there...

Ducks on a boogie board? WTF?

ticknart said...

Did the NBA place have a hoop to aim for at the urinal? Or was it just the standard painting of a fly?

Scarlet said...

These photos are fantastic! I love the one of you posing with your drink. It's perfect!

I'm glad you had so much fun. I know how relaxing it can be when you have NO expectations...everything seems to work out in your favor after that.

The view from your table looks awesome. What a nice place for r & r...as long as there are no aggressive birds hunting for french fries around. :)

I can't wait to hear about Carol Burnett. I love her!!

Jocelyn said...

This sounds like complete nirvana...and you're way too cute.

Big Brother said...

There is often a silver lining. It looks like a lot of fun.

Carole said...

I LOVE your pictures! Sounds like you had such a fun and unusual weekend. I can just picture that crazy bird grabbing a french fry from you! And to "mentally" request that same driver...pretty cool! haha

Glad you had such a blast! I liked what you said about when you have no expectations, how great things can turn out. So true!

Anonymous said...

It's soooooo cold here right now. So very, very cold.... And, oh yes photos and descriptions of other people's fun in the sun make me feel sooooooo much better. Glad you had a good time!

geewits said...

Jazz,
~~And where did they get a boogie board? It's not like it's a public beach. It's a man-made lagoon. One of the mysteries of the universe.

Ticknart,
~~It did not occur to me to check out the men's urinal. I do have a source I can check with, though.

Scarlet,
~~Oddly enough, it was a bottle of water. I wonder why I had a bottle of water? The aggressive birds were tiny cute brownish birds. The ravens waited. Now, at night, the ducks could get kind of loud and pushy.

Jocelyn,
~~You're way too kind!

Big Brother,
~~True, and it was.

Carole,
~~That's probably why you had a good time doing MOW with me, you probably weren't expecting much.

Xup,
~~If it makes you feel any better, it's pretty freaking cold here too. And if you're thinking 27° isn't that cold. It sure is when you're not used to it.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

It looks and sounds like you had a very special time....Sad that it was so empty, but at the same time, kind of wonderful...I think I would prefer that, too....The Ducks are adorable...I so wish you had a picture of that bird taking the French Fry....lol!

Carole said...

Actually...I was looking forward to doing MOW with you. You are so fun and unique, I suspect any day out with you could easily turn into a fun adventure!

geewits said...

Naomi,
~~That would have been an excellent picture, but I had no idea that bird was going to do that.

Carole,
~~You are too sweet!