Thursday, January 08, 2009

Almost Horrible

One of my worst fears is finding a dead person, and being a Meals on Wheels delivery person sort of puts me in a higher category for that event. One of my ladies that died about 5 years ago died on the MOW person's watch that was either a day ahead or a day behind mine. I was just glad it wasn't me. For about 4 minutes, I thought today was the day.
~
I don't go into the houses of all the MOW people. Some people just open the door and take the food, but some you walk in and take the food to some designated point. I have this guy that I'll call Sid Parker that is one of those that you bang on the door and let yourself in and keep announcing yourself because they can't hear very well. And those are the same people that always have their TVs on very loud so that doesn't help.
~
So I walk in all "MEALS ON WHEELS!!" and then notice how quiet it is. Usually Always, his TV is blaring. My little brain alarm went off. Then as I reach his kitchen and look over the counter into the family room, I see he is not in his chair. He's always in his chair. I'm all "oh no oh no oh no...." in my head and then notice a bedroom door and a bed and what looks like a knee.
~
I walked up sort of close to the door and loudly inquired, "Mr. Parker?" nothing. Again, "Mr. Parker? Mr. Parker?" and he never stirred at all. Then, "Sid?!" "Sid?!" and I was thinking, I do not want to go in there. Then finally he stirred and mumbled something like, "I fell asleep in my chair last night." I was SO relieved. I think I said something like, "I'm glad you're okay. Your food's on the counter and I brought in your newspaper." Then I practically ran out. I was so happy that he was okay. And happy today wasn't that day I have dreaded.

11 comments:

VioletSky said...

When I worked in a nursing home that was always on my mind. And for the years my father was in hospital, I hated going into his room and seeing an empty bed and was relieved when he'd say: they'd moved so-and-so... of course it was all much worse for him, so I felt a little self centred about it all.

Anonymous said...

wow. i don't blame you for being frightened about finding someone dead. that would be so scary. as i read your post i was anxious. i hope it never happens to you.

Scarlet said...

I can picture that whole scene so vividly. I almost felt the same relief you did when he FINALLY answered you. OMG! You must've chugged three beers after that. (I would've!)

Jazz said...

It never crossed my mind that you'd be more at risk of happening on a dead person. Damn. Glad for you that he was ok!

Ian Lidster said...

I'm so glad Sid was OK. In my years as a reporter I got up close with dead people a few times -- accident victims, etc. I never got used to it.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Completely understand your feelings. No one in their right mind would not want to avoid that situation. Still, I am sure that if it ever did happen, you would be able to do what was necessary. I am sure Sid was equally glad that this was not that day.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Scary. My mother gets time of day mixed up sometimes, and just goes to sleep early. I have been rattled to find her in bed when I'd assumed she'd be up and at 'em when I arrived. We've scared the hell out of each other more than once when she jumps because I'm in her room.

I can't help wondering how it must feel, from Sid's point of view; to be at a point in your life where if you sleep late, everyone thinks you're dead.

Carole said...

I'm glad Sid is okay, but I can see why you practically ran out even after the relief of him finally waking up. That must have been quite frightening!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh My.....I truly understand this. And, I'm glad that this wasn't that day eother....! It does sound like there has been a change, though....! Prayers For Sid are Forthcoming.

Anonymous said...

You live life on the edge, you really do. I often run and/or walk very early in the morning and on TV joggers are forever finding dead bodies -- them or dog walkers. So far I haven't found any. I don't think it would be much fun either.

geewits said...

VioletSky,
~~I imagine those were hard times.

Raino,
~~Thanks. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Scarlet,
~~I just wanted to see him move. I was so happy when he finally responded.

Jazz,
~~Yes, I guess it's the one major drawback of MOW.

Ian,
~~It's good you never got used to it.

LGS,
~~Hmmm, now I wonder if I'm supposed to call MOW first or call 911?

Gnightgirl,
~~That's a good point.

Carole,
~~Yeah, it wasn't fun, that's for sure.

Naomi,
~~Maybe he just had an off day. I hope so.

Xup,
~~Yes, and those bodies are usually worse off than an old person dying in bed. I hope you never find one.