Monday, April 07, 2008

The Weekend

I finally bought flowers today (Sunday I mean, it's 3:00 in the morning here). Every year I wait until I know it won't get cold again and not only that, but I am going to a hand doctor on Wednesday and if I need surgery I want to get it as soon as possible, so I figured I better get all my flowers planted right away. We also bought some nice mesh patio chairs to replace our old tired and hail-damaged green resin chairs. And it was official "coming out day" for my poor old legs as I wore shorts out in public for the first time this year. When I first started aging, I once went a whole summer without wearing shorts. I figured the public shouldn't have to be subjected to the creepy veins and whatnot. And this is Texas, which gets very hot. I must have been insane. I remember the next year thinking, "What the hell was I thinking?" It's not like I am tying people up and making them look at my leg veins. Or maybe I just had leg "vains." When I was younger my legs were one of my best assets. Ah, those were the days. Anyway, I'll take some pictures tomorrow (today, actually) after I get my flowers potted.

Saturday was My Sweetie's birthday and we were originally going to go to Dave & Busters, but around mid-afternoon, he decided he'd rather stay home and watch the Final Four. (That's the last four teams playing in the college basketball championship, for those of you who do not know what that is.) That was fine with me, because, A) It was his birthday and he can do whatever he wants and B) Those two games were very important for me if I am going to win the money and C) Christopher Walken was hosting "Saturday Night Live." I had all the "fixin's" to make beef fajita quesadillas, so we also had a great meal. And both of my picks WON!

Not only did I have Kansas to win that game, I have them to win the whole tournament. And because I am a Duke fan, Carolina is our ARCH RIVAL, so that game was particularly sweet. We danced and marched around and whooped and high-fived for about 15 minutes after the game was over. I hope I don't jinx myself here, but if Kansas wins tonight, I win around $400. On a $10 buy-in. The worst case scenario is I come in 3rd and win $20. And SIXTY people are on my brackets. Woot woot! On the downside of Saturday night was "Saturday Night." Christopher Walken has always been one of our favorite SNL hosts and he was terrible. In every skit he stood there shamelessly reading the cue cards and never even glanced at the other actors in the scene. Yeah, he's 65, but if he didn't want to bother to learn his lines or has lost the ability to glance at a cue card and say his lines, he should not have hosted. I was glad My Sweetie fell asleep on the couch and didn't see that.


(My Other Sweetie)

8 comments:

Dave said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend! As for the fact of you starting to age... We have all been aging since we were born so we might as well get used to it! :-)

Just so you know... I posted a pic of that ugly hat on my head. It won't be up for long as I am planning to take it down some time soon... well not too soon! :-)

Tai said...

Happy Birthday Mr. Geewits!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

A Belated Happy Birthday to your Sweetie...
I am glad you explained what the Final Four is, because I did not know...LOL!
Glad your Teams Won! HOORAY!

I rarely watch SNL Anymore because EVERYBODY is reading from cue card and not connecting to their fellow actors! I find that quite distracting and yet, I know that they are changing things up until "air" time, so I forgive them a little...yet....Well, that is too bad that Chris Walken never looked at his fellow actors.

Cycling Goddess said...

Happy Belated Birthday to Mr. geewits :) I'm glad you had a good weekend and I hope you get to win that bounty too! woohoo... $400 is a nice sum!

Your other sweetie is just too darn cute. I love his cute little pink pad amongst the other black ones. And his pink ears too :) awww... he's too cute... don't tell my girl, she'll be jealous :)

geewits said...

Dave,
~~It's always the people who look 10 years younger than don't mind aging. And the hat makes you look younger, still.

Tai,
~~I'll pass that along.

Naomi,
~~And we had been looking forward to him all week! Oh well.

Sylvie,
~~I sure hope I win. My husband said Kansas is favored by 1.5 points. How do you make 1.5 points in basketball?

All of Barney's toes are white on top except that one on the back, so his Native American name is "Walks with one tan toe."

Jo said...

Happy Birthday to Mr. Geewits!! Barney is the cutest cat I have ever seen. Omigosh! I remember when he was the size of a light bulb. Do you remember that? And he had the saddest eyes I have ever seen. Can you even imagine your life without him now?

You're wearing shorts? I'm still wearing my sexy jellow puddle jumpers and my rain slicker. *sigh*

Leslie: said...

Glad y'all had a happy day celebrating both a birthday and the championship games. Dinner sounds yummy!

I don't know if I could ever live in that heat - I won't wear shorts, either, but have opted instead for capris or short skirts that allow the air to circulate. I still have good calves, but the thighs are - well - not great anymore. *sigh*

geewits said...

Josie,
~~If cats were manufactured, Barney would be considered "high end." He really is the perfect cat.

Leslie,
~~The heat is tough. I'm too short and stubby to wear capris, so I have to go with shorts.