Friday, April 25, 2008

It's Almost Party Time

I invited my 14-year-old niece to spend the night with us Friday night (or tonight if you are reading this on Friday). It's about time I got to know her better. I generally only see her at family events and she is not always at those because sometimes she is with her dad. I had also thought of doing some sort of "Happy Anniversary" thing in Hawaiian and then thought, "Hey! That's something cool we can do together!" I went to Michael's and thanks to a VERY helpful boy (Yo, Chris W., You Rock!) found these:
I also bought a dark green foam poster board for to put these on. (hee hee) Anyway I separated the letters from the flowers so I could spell this out:
I had to play with the contrast so you could read that, because they are just sitting on a clear plastic tray right now on top of the "party cloth." The weird thing was, when I dumped out the stuff to separate the flowers from the letters, I experienced the Clown Car Phenomenon. I ended up with enough flowers to half fill this very large shoebox:

I put the letters back in the orignal container and they took up almost a third of the space. I can't figure out how it all fit in there to begin with.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to having some quality time with my niece and getting to know her on a more personal level. Her mother and grandmother have both told me how excited she is about it. She has only one other aunt that lives in Colorado and I don't think they know each other very well. She's also going to help us with other party related matters and help me decorate. What I didn't tell my niece is that she has to watch my favorite movie with me. I know her mother doesn't like old movies, so I'm pretty sure she hasn't seen it, but I'd like to think that next week sometime, she will be humming "The Boy Next Door" or singing "Clang, clang clang goes the trolley!"

~
~
And now for a totally unrelated subject complete with no segue whatsoever: Lily, the cat that can disappear, disappeared tonight and I always enjoy trying to find her. Sometimes I can't and give up and sometimes I get frustrated and shake a bag of treats to make her reappear. But that's cheating. Tonight after going over the house three times I found her here:

12 comments:

the walking man said...

Smart Cat, saw the decorations and thought..."no way human"

I hope you have a great time with your niece.

Peace

mark

Cycling Goddess said...

geewits ~ I'm sure your niece will enjoy watching old movies! She may surprise you to no end. It's nice to get to know family.

Lily is a smart, and beautiful, cat :) My cat does that sometimes, hiding in strange places although HER places have to be just a tad bigger hehehehe

Enjoy your weekend. I look forward to reading how it went and seeing pictures.

Jazz said...

Lily knows where the warmth is...

Hope you have a great weekend with your niece.

Tai said...

Have a GREAT weekend, it sounds like so much fun!

(We can go a'wasp-killin' on Granville Island, it'll be fun! Josie can keep a running score. LOL!)

ticknart said...

Meet Me in St Louis? Really? Your favorite? Why? (Those statements aren't supposed to be read in a rude tone, just curious.)

I like the songs, especially "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," but most of the stuff in between leaves me cold. And the Halloween sequence still frightens me.

I've always been fond of In the Good Old Summertime, which came out a few years later. It's based on the Jimmy Stewart movie The Shop Around the Corner and is absolutely charming. (You've Got Mail is also based on the Stewart movie.)

Leslie: said...

Have a good time with your niece and I hope she appreciates your taste in movies.

Isn't it just like a cat to just ignore you when you're calling for her!

Jo said...

Well, of course! Where else would a cat be? :-)

You know, this is going to be a very special time for your niece, spending time with you. It will be something she will always remember. We sometimes forget how important we are to the young people in our lives.

I have a sneaking suspicion, Geewits, that you are having just too much fun organizing this party! *heh*

Scarlet said...

Sounds like you have a wonderful weekend in store for you and everyone involved in this shindig. Your niece is sure to have a great time w/ you as an auntie and w/ all the fun activities you have planned.

I hope she likes the movie. She can always play hide 'n seek w/ Lily if she's bored, but I doubt there'll be a dull moment. Enjoy!

Carole said...

Dear Auntie Geewits,
That sounds like a lot of fun for you and your niece! And what a great old movie to introduce her to! Hope you have a blast this weekend!

geewits said...

Mark,
~~But it's an Hawaiian themed party! (But what does the cat know?)

Sylvie,
~~I hope she likes the move. I laughed when I read that Lily was a smart cat! Ha! She is so NOT.

Jazz,
~~Yes, she always seems to be cold.

Tai,
~~Wasp-killing sounds sort of racist if you think about it!

Ticknart,
~~I just love the movie, I can't explain it. "Cabbage has a cabbage smell!" I'll check out the Summertime movie. I LOVE old movies.

Leslie,
~~I didn't call for her. It's more fun to try to find her. Except when I can't. Then it's just weird.

Josie,
~~Ha! I'm a nervous Nellie over here and trying to relax about the whole affair. And make it fun.

Scarlet,
~~I hope she will have a good time over here. Her regular life is very hectic. If she likes it here, she can come back.

Carole,
~~Thanks! I hope everything goes well tonight and tomorrow. Of course, you'll hear all about it.

Russell said...

Hope you had a good time last night with your niece and that you enjoyed the movie. I confess, I have never seen Meet You in St. Louis - so I will put it on my list of movies to see!

Looks like you have a pretty smart cat!!

geewits said...

Ha! Russell, Lily is the dumbest cat ever!