Monday, April 21, 2008

My Birthday Weekend

I had a long and fun birthday weekend! Friday night we went to Mac's for dinner. I had been to my hairdresser and my hair smelled strongly of coconut so I made up a drink (I do that sometimes). I ordered a White Russian, but instead of Vodka, I had him use Creme de Cacao. It was good but I could hardly taste the coconut liqueur, because my hair smelled so strongly. I wanted to run into the grocery store on the way home for liquid soap, because like paper towels, I can not tolerate being out of liquid soap, and there was a table with gorgeous flower arrangements for only $9.99, so I bought those flowers for myself for my birthday. We were going to watch a movie when we got home, but My Sweetie fell asleep on the couch, so I finished the picture board project. I never did find more of the original ribbon, so I had to pull all of that out. I redid it with a matching pink rickrack. It was actually pretty funny - every time I used the staple gun, My Sweetie would pop awake for about 3 seconds, then go right back to sleep.
~
On Saturday, My Sweetie went for a haircut and stopped at the sporting goods store and got us a fun yard game. I love fun yard games! You throw bean bags into the holes for points. It was fun! I did pretty good for playing left-handed. Once when I was retrieving the bean bags, I thought it would be fun to drop kick a bean bags back to My Sweetie but it went up into the tree. Also on Saturday, I painted my house numbers. Every year for my birthday I give myself a present and I have really wanted house numbers for a long time. I sprayed a few layers of primer on these wooden numbers and then the green. This was the first layer of green and it freaked me out because it looked nothing like the color on the cap. Fortunately after about 3 coats the color was darker, more of a Forest Green. Lastly I painted glass beads on top for reflection. We just put them up today and I forgot to take a picture and I haven't even checked them out in the dark to see if they actually reflect, but I'm glad to finally have some numbers up there. I don't know how delivery people found our house all these years. In the picture, it's the back of the numbers.





















Saturday night, we went to the APV tournament at the ballpark in Arlington. It felt so cool to be sharing the same airspace as Olympic Gold medalists. The two ladies facing us are Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh. There were also guys playing and all sorts of entertainment between matches including the drunk lady that slipped and fell on the bleachers about 3 feet from us. Of course, that made My Sweetie paranoid and he watched me like a hawk every time I got up to get a beer. It was a fun and different thing to do and was marred only by the bad bathrooms there.
Today, my actual birthday, we went to Main Street Arts Festival. Man was it crowded. My daughter met us there because she had to be somewhere at 6:00 and we were going out to eat from there. I thought this (below) was a really cool (and weird) thing so I took a picture and the artist came out of his booth and said, "Please don't take photographs." and I said, "But I'm a blogger!" Oh, and on the way in three different people were leaving and gave us coupons and I told them all, "Wow thanks! And it's my birthday!!" Two ladies at the Main Street store sang "Happy Birthday" to me. That was fun.





Since that one artist didn't want photos taken, I stood way back to take this picture, because I fell in love with the blue cat. How cool is that?



This last picture is of Bass Performance Hall taken from the parking garage we were in. If you look at the end of the street there, where it gets dark, that's the crowd on Main Street.




I think next year I will not have a birthday weekend. It really wore me out. I think next year I will just celebrate my birthday, like normal people.














12 comments:

Cycling Goddess said...

Happy belated birthday weekend! You minx... you didn't tell us! I'm glad you had a great weekend, despite the hurting hand.

Oh and I LOVE the blue cat too! Did you buy it? It would look perfect in my place! I want it! lol

Jazz said...

Naw, forget birtday weekend. Next year you need to do a birthday WEEK!

Happy belated birthday.

Ian Lidster said...

A huge and happy (belated) birthday to you, dear friend.

Tai said...

Yes, Happy BIRTHDAY! What a lot of fun you packed in, everybody needs a birthday weekend!

Jo said...

Gosh, your birthday weekend wore me out, and I just read about it.

What a good idea! A birthday weekend. Well, why not?

Happy Birthday!

Leslie: said...

Heck, this year I had a birthday MONTH! It was a "biggie" so figured since I couldn't change it I might as well embrace it. Glad you had a fun weekend! Happy Birthday to YOOOOOOOOO! We'll all have to celebrate our UNbirthdays when you come to visit.

geewits said...

Sylvie,
~~It was $200, so I will be happy with my photo. When I think of money I think in terms of plane tickets and $200 is half a plane ticket. I couldn't spend that on a little painting.

Jazz,
~~Birthday week? I don't think I would last.

Ian,
~~Thanks!

Tai,
~~Maybe, but maybe just every other year?

Josie,
~~Well it will fall on a Monday next year, so hopefully I won't be tempted to do it agin!

Leslie,
~~My big one will fall on a Wednesday, so maybe I'll do a birthday month then too.

Carole said...

Happy Birthday Geewits! Looks like you had a lot of fun! I'll have to come by and see your new painted house numbers. I'm sure they look great! Did you get your bag out of the tree? I bet your hubby will scale the tallest tree for you. Just keep an eye on him when he goes up with the chainsaw! haha I just read an article last week about police unlawfully taking people's cameras away for taking pictures in public places. Meanwhile all the people with camera phones are snapping away. Anyway, Happy Birthday! Glad you had such a nice day!

Russell said...

Sounds like a GREAT birthday!! Congratulations!! I especially liked the fact you got some flowers for yourself!! Fresh cut flowers are always nice - no, no I am not some metro sexual guy, but I do think fresh flowers are nice once in while. No, I have not bought them for myself but I often walk past them slowly in grocery stores and flower shops so I can smell the fragrant ones.

The bean bag game was a good idea and I love that building with the angels and trumpets on the side - they don't build them like that any more...

Happy Birthday!!

Scarlet said...

You squeezed in a lot of fun for one weekend! I loved the blue cat and pics from the festival. The pic of your flowers w/ the cat lounging in the background is pretty cool. I don't know if you meant to get the kitty in there like that, but it looks great.

Happy Birthday, once again! BTW, is this your birthweek?? :)

geewits said...

Carole,
~~Oh we knocked the bean bag out with the spa scooper thing. Your husband probably could have just jumped up there! Cops taking away cameras? Good luck with that. I'd swallow it or something.

Russell,
~~Bass Hall is actually a relatively new building, but they were going for the old style look. It's gorgeous and old school on the inside, too. I've been to two Broadway musicals (Miss Saigon and The Producers) and an opera (The Marriage of Figaro). And I love fresh flowers, but only if they are inexpensive. I can't believe what I'm paying for the flowers for the anniversary dinner I'm giving this weekend!

Scarlet,
~~I was taking pictures of the flowers and Barney ran over there and flopped down, like "Take a picture of me!" so I had to include him. Birthweek? ?? I think it's funny that we were both out doing festivals this weekend.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Well it does sound like you had a grand time! And I can understand you being worn out...LOL! But how great that you celebrated ALL weekend long!
A VERY VERY HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TO YOU, My Dear!