Monday, April 28, 2008

The Party in Pics

This is my niece as we were working on the the greeting board for the party Friday night. She's pretty easy going and pleasant. Unfortunately we didn't start the movie until about 11:30 and she fell asleep about 15 minutes in. I guess next time....
This is my heart and flowers centerpiece for the guests of honor table. The other tables just had bunched up Hawaiian cloth under them.


This is the table of pictures.



This is the cool cake my SIL brought. I wonder how they make those icing pictures? Maybe I should google it.


Those are just random shots to give you an idea of the room. We used five large round tables. Notice how everyone is wearing their leis. I was wondering if some of those "good ole boys" were going to feel okay about wearing a garland of pink silk flowers, but everyone wore them. And of course there were a lot of the usual jokes, like, "You haven't been leied! You need to get leied." There was a glass door leading out to a patio with two benches for all the smokers, but a lot of non-smokers hung around out there for the first half-hour because the view of the golf course was nice and it was a gorgeous day: sunny and not hot or cold. It was just right.
~
I was sort of a nervous wreck, but everything went very smoothly and everyone said they really enjoyed it. The food was good and the service was excellent. I thought it was funny that they always served me first. We sat at a table with the aunt and uncle that flew in and and a really old couple. Fortunately our aunt is very talkative so I let her run most of the conversation. It was funny to me to think I did all that. When I woke up Sunday morning I had the oddest pain in my extensor carpi ulnaris muscle. I couldn't figure out why it hurt, and I thought, "Did I do anything odd yesterday?" Then I laughed out loud as I was thinking, "Yeah, you did. You threw a big party at a country club!" I was telling my Mom about my arm pain and I said, "The only thing I did was hold a beer all day, but I always have a beer." She said, "Yeah, but I bet you were really gripping that thing." She's probably right.

9 comments:

Jazz said...

Glad it went well! I hope you got the thanks you deserve for organizing it... Were you well leied?

Scarlet said...

Beer gripping pain is the worst, isn't it? But it was well worth it! You did a fantastic job! I didn't realize it was going to be such a big event, and it looks as though everyone had a great time getting leied. :)

Tai said...

LOL!! Mom's always know, don't they?
Glad everything went so fabulously!

Ian Lidster said...

All's well that ends well.

Cycling Goddess said...

Aww... nice to hear it went well, great pics too. And everyone got leid lol But sorry to hear about the hand. Man, you'd think beer holding wouldn't be so difficult right? maybe you'll have to start drinking it in wine glasses?

Jo said...

Congratulations, Geewits. You did it! I'm so glad it all went well for you.

What you need is one of those hats that holds a beer can on each side, with a siphon that goes right into your mouth. That way your hands are free. No more beer grip.

You can get them in Canada. :-)

geewits said...

Jazz,
~~I was thanked profusely by everyone!

Scarlet,
~~It was fancy and laid back at the same time. This is Texas, after all.

Tai,
~~Well, my Mom certainly knows me!

Ian,
~~Yes and the end was my favorite part!

Sylvie,
~~That's a funny picture!

Josie,
~~I'm not sure it would have coordinated with my outfit, but it certainly would have come in handy.

Carole said...

Everything looks lovely in the pictures! I'm glad the party went off so well for you. Even though it was kind of nerve-racking for you, it still seems it was a good creative outlet, and just a really nice thing to do!

geewits said...

Carole,
~~Everybody keeps saying that! That it was a nice thing to do. I thought it was just something you are SUPPOSED to do. Plus I really adore my In-Laws.