Saturday, December 08, 2007

Christmastime is Here Hot


The weather is the weather whether we like it or not. I was going to do some Christmas decorating today but it was 80 degrees and it just didn't feel very Christmasy. I took this picture of my cool new grill cover today to send to my friend and realized that it was a good example of how unDecemberish it is here. Except for that hint of pink on my nandina (to the left of the grill) you would never know this picture was taken in December. I was discussing the weather with someone on Wednesday, because Texans LOVE to discuss the weather, and I said, "If I had just come out of a coma today and was asked to guess the date, I would have said October 15th."
~
Although I've been listening to Christmas music, bought a few gifts, cards and stamps, I haven't really reached my "Christmas Place." It bothers me that this house is not Christmas tree friendly. I've narrowed it down to three spots and think I'll just roll a die to pick a spot. We had planned to get our tree this weekend, so I need to make a decision. I did put my old candy cane thing on my house, but that's as far as I got. I was going to put my new poisonous candy canes out but I realized we have only one outdoor extension cord and My Sweetie will need that for leaf sucking and blowing. I guess we will buy a new extension cord this weekend - I didn't handle all that lead for nothing!
~
Christmastime always makes me think of old friends. I make a lot of phone calls and have a fun time with my yearly "catching up." Maybe I'll do a few of my Favorite Christmas Memories posts this month. Or not. It's hard to go there when it's 80 degrees.

12 comments:

Dave said...

I suppose you won't be dreaming if a white Christmas! Lol On one hand I wish I was where you are ... but on the other hand ... Naw forget it! I wish I was where you are on both hands! Enjoy your hot weather ... I envy you! :-)

Jo said...

80 degrees? That's July 15th in Vancouver. I would be down at the beach swimming, and not thinking about Christmas at all(!) in that weather. When you put your tree up, show us some pictures. I would like to see it.

geewits said...

Dave,
~~I was singing "White Christmas" yesterday and when I realized what I was singing, I said, "Yeah, right."

Josie,
~~The good news is I have not had to pull out the humidifiers yet! Yes, the tree. I forgot about that already. If we don't get it today, we'll get it next weekend.

Ian Lidster said...

I would love to try a warm weather Christmas for a change. I actually envy you in your 80 degrees.

Jammie J. said...

I'm dreaming of a hot Christmas... just like the ones I used to know. Where the treetops are treetops and children ... well, you get the idea. Is that what you're singing? :)

geewits said...

Ian,
~~I happened to glance at the cover of my L.L. Bean catalogue and I think it said, "How to stay warm." I thought, Uhm, go outside?

Oh Jammie,
~~You live in sunny California. You know all about the warm Christmas!

Scarlet said...

I do the same thing every year at Christmastime. I call my old high school friends and folks who I don't see on a regular basis. You just made me think of Hector's grandfather in the nursing home. I think I'll pay him a visit.

"New poisonous candy canes..." I don't know why, but that made me laugh. I hope you get everything up and that you feel the spirit of Christmas soon! (Don't feel bad, it's 80 degrees here, too!)

geewits said...

Scarlet,
~~Have a nice visit! I'm still not in the mood, though.

Jazz said...

Hell, I'm buried under snow and I still don't feel Christmasy.

geewits said...

Jazz,
~~Since we are the same age, maybe it's an age-related thing.

Big Brother said...

80 degrees, good lord I'd have to put wheels under my skis

geewits said...

Big Brother,
~~It went away, was cold, and now is mild again. The saying in Texas is "If you don't like the weather here, wait 15 minutes."