Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Just another wacky Wednesday

As usual, my Wednesday was long, but it was all really funny to me. It started out bad. The phone rang 10 minutes before my alarm was to go off (don't you HATE that?) and it was the insurance claims lady. I've mentioned before (probably 800 times) that I AM NOT a morning person. She was all explaining stuff and asked for the name of our mortgage company. I felt stupid for not knowing. I've had various fiscal responsibilities in my 3 marriages from doing everything to doing nothing, and I'm at the doing nothing phase again. So I told her to call My Sweetie at work and then I couldn't think of his number and had to get out of bed and go all the way across the house to find it on my cell phone. I bet she was rolling her eyes the whole time. MOW went fine, "Lenny" was back home from the hospital (he had had diabetic complications) and my 97-year-old lady was out of bed and sitting in a chair for the first time in a month. You know the old saying, "out of the mouths of babes?" well "and very old people" should be added to that. She seemed so happy to see me and then looked at me funny and in her thick accent said, "Why does your face look fat?" Her son seemed embarrassed, but I thought it was hilarious. I said, "Well I do feel kind of bloated. My rings felt a little tight when I put them on." I thought that would be the end of that. Then HE said, "Are you having your period?" Oh. My. God. I still can't believe he said that. I just looked at him cooly and said something like, "Pfffft, I'm too old for that."
~
Yesterday, Lolo and I were discussing the pros and cons of having a camera phone. Then I saw something today and decided I need to get one. Two houses down from one of my MOW stops was a house with EXTERNAL bamboo blinds. That was weird. I have got to get a camera phone. Speaking of phones, I sent my second ever text message today which was "call me" and it took me about 15 minutes. I did figure out how to put the space in there, so I was pretty proud of myself. Slow and steady wins the race. That's my new mantra. I find it very calming.
~
I always stop at this dive bar for two beers before I go to lunch and the bartender who is A YEAR YOUNGER than my daughter was in there with her 12-day-old baby. The crazy old man from last week came in while I was over looking at the baby and sat in MY seat. I said, "You're in my seat!" and he moved. He's very odd. Just as I was leaving he said he had five children aged 7 to 33. That was too weird. I wish I had not told him I was there every Wednesday. I have a feeling he will be there every Wednesday now. He's okay, he just has weird mannerisms. At least he gave up the barstool.
~
I went to Friday's for lunch and ended up in a rousing trivia game (the NTN game) with the bartender and another man. The bartender kinda reminds me of Cheech (and/or Chong). He was pretty serious about his trivia though. And the other man had the most annoying voice. If I had to guess, he was one of those 60's hippies. He spoke in a flat monotone and spoke QUITE OFTEN. I kept expecting him to add "dude" at the end of each sentence. Oh, and I won all the trivia games.
~
I went to Italianni's after that and found out my favorite old bartender is back (he had moved to Colorado). I also invented a great drink. I think I'll call it a "Washington Apple Splash." It's a Washington Apple on ice with a splash of club soda. Yummy. It was so funny when I asked the new bartender (not the Colorado guy) if he had met my daughter yet. Two different people said, "She was in here Monday night." Small world. My Sweetie called and asked where I was. He was freaking out because there was another tornado watch. I wasn't worried because it was very light outside.
~
I hit the grocery store on the way home (shudder), made it home, and shortly thereafter we started with "The Weather" again. All of the local channels were discussing 90 mph winds and tornado conditions. My Sweetie was freaking out, but after that hail storm from hell, none of it bothers me anymore. I was on the phone with my friend Kim (see side note*) and my daughter called on my cell phone. She was concerned about "the weather" and had a long drive home. I told her to stop by to wait it out. Sure enough, it started to get bad. There was no hail and no tornado but the straight line winds and flooding caused LOTS of damage. It was weird seeing all the cars in the water on the news. Who are these people that drive into water? Flooding kills more people than any other weather condition. Geeez.
~
I'm sure I left out a bunch of stuff I'll think of later, but on *A SIDE NOTE: I got a gift box from my friend Kim yesterday. It had three smaller boxes inside. I was on the phone with Lolo as I opened the boxes. The first box had a really cool cell phone holder/clip with a Duke logo. The second box had a lovely gardenia-scented candle. I opened the third box and said, "What the hell is this? It looks like drug paraphanalia?" I described it to Lolo and we had a good laugh. It was a ceramic ring that you place on a light bulb and gardenia-scented oil to pour into the ring. Seriously, if you've never seen that type of thing before, you'd be confused, too.
~
One last thing: Blood Diamond: Good movie.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that was funny when you were opening your gifts from Kim and you said is this drug paraphanalia? You make me laugh. Glad I could help you out.

Ian Lidster said...

I 'knew' you would be a trivia whiz. And I say this (ahem) as a guy with two (count 'em, two) trivia competition trophies sitting on my desk. I'm shamefully shameless.

Ian

geewits said...

Lolo,
I didn't really notice the scent last night but that's probably because it's allergy season and my nose is all wacky.

Ian,
I have two weak subjects in trivia: Country music and Geography (typical American there). Yesterday a question was: This state is bordered on the west by Washinton and Oregon and we ALL put Montana! To be fair, I don't think geography is really trivia.

Anonymous said...

Oh My HELL! I cannot imagine asking someone if they're having their period, and I'm a WOMAN. Heh. I have been known to ask women where they're at in their cycle, though, but only if they're trying to figure out something weird that's going on with their body. *snort* Which is so much more tactful, right?

Pretty soon, you'll be entering those text messaging competitions, eh? :)

Jo said...

Rod's Stewart's kids range in age from 2 to 28. His oldest child is just slightly younger than his (current) wife. I just can't even imagine it!

Reading about your Wednesday just about wore me out :-) Glad to hear Lenny is okay.

Josie

geewits said...

J,
To be honest I'd rather someone ask if I'm having my period than tell me my face looks fat. And yeah, I'll be the text message queen in just 30 short years.

Josie,
Yeah, that giant age range of kids thing is just weird. My Wednesdays always wear me out. That's why I have to read the recaps of "Lost" on Tvgasm. I usually am kinda nodding off a little during the show. I was really worried about Lenny. I seriously thought he might have killed himself. I hope he'll be okay.

Jo said...

Geewits, I have been snooping, (ahem) I mean looking through your posts for the story of the day with the red truck, but I can't find it. Did you post about it? Can you post it again? I am intrigued.

Josie