Monday, May 21, 2007

Population: 2?


Everybody has that little voice in their head. I don't mean the one Oprah calls God. I mean that innocuous little voice that says things to you like "Don't forget to water the plants today." or "After this, you should unload the dryer before you clean the kitchen." Sometimes the little voice is very helpful and inventive like "Maybe you should add some fresh minced green peppers to that." This voice is also called your "internal dialogue." Today mine was a little weird. I was getting ready to go to the grocery store and I said (in my head) "Well do you want to stop by Papa G's for a beer on the way to the grocery store?" And then the answer (also in my head) was, "I don't care, it's up to you." If that wasn't weird enough, I then said (OUT LOUD) "Hey! There's only one person here!"
~
On the other hand, I also tried to turn down the TV with the phone today.

5 comments:

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Don't panic. I have the medical solution. For your first problem of the two voices, I recommend beer. If you take beer, then the first voice will have nothing to ask for and will fall silent. Hence you will no longer hear two voices (as long as you keep drinking beer regularly).

The second problem about misusing the phone is a clear symptom of drinking too much beer. Stop immediately!

Hope this has been helpful. Where should I send the bill for my consultancy fees?

Ian Lidster said...

I don't think that voice is God, I think it's my ex-wife who was so OCD that if I haven't cleaned up the kitchen properly, it's her voice I hear -- not my current wife's. She's much more relaxed and considerably less anal.
Ian

Jo said...

Don't worry, Geewits, I answered the phone with the remote the other day, and I couldn't figure out why I was saying hello, and it kept ringing. Uh, oh.

I have voices that speak to me as well, but I never listen and that sometimes gets me into trouble.

Which one of you finally decided to go for a beer?

Josie

geewits said...

LGS,
Hmm, I don't think you've earned your fee. I WAS drinking beer when I had the "conversation." The phone/remote thing? I think I had only had one beer at that point.

Ian,
That's awful that you still hear your ex-wife's voice! That only happens to me in one circumstance. When I am trying to carry a bunch of stuff and my beer. My second husband used to always say, "Did it ever occur to you to just put your beer down to free up both hands?"

Josie,
What's with that phone/remote thing anyway? I've never tried to answer the remote, but I have tried to dial out on it. I DID stop for a beer. I guess we ALL agreed. :)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOL, LOL...Well, I find myself forgeting certain things and it is disturbing....I LOVE that you answered your 'inner dialogue voice'....I talk to myself all the time these days...That's often disconcerting, too! But, often I talk to my cat! He doesn't answer me though! (lol)

Thanks for your visit!