Monday, May 28, 2007

Getting Excited About My Trip (Ya Think?)

The Loeb Boathouse in Central Park


I couldn't sleep this morning and My Sweetie was playing a video game on the TV so I decided to do some more perusing of New York stuff. It will be a very short trip so I want to pack in as much as possible without it feeling like work. I think I have a plan now. (I'm too casual to call it an itinerary, besides I don't want to look up how to spell it. It looks okay to me, though.) My plane will land on Friday (the 8th) at 4:10. This seems like a very bad traffic time, so I have no idea how long it will take to get to the hotel (and did I mention our hotel has smoking rooms! It's the only place we will be able to smoke indoors in the whole city). The good news is I will have a car and driver to meet me. That's so much better than having to get a cab. One of My Sweetie's business associates is going to take us out to dinner so that will also be nice: No thinking on our part. No plans after that. It will be a VERY long day for me, so I'm hoping to go to bed early (for me) because Saturday is our only real day there.

~

My Saturday plans are to wake up, get ready, and grab a cab for Robert F. Wagner Jr. park. There we should have great harbor views (meaning Ellis Island and Liberty Island) and I'm going to take my binoculars. We will also visit the Museum of Jewish Heritage, which will probably make me cry, but that's okay. Next, we will take a cab back to our hotel to rest my feet, smoke and drink some beers (Hey it's MY vacation too!) and drop off the binoculars. Times Square will be our next stop, because although I did the whole New Year's Eve on Times Square back in 1978, My Sweetie has never been to New York. That's also why we are going to go to that park to see the Statue of Liberty - I went all the way up it back then. Thank goodness he hates boats and doesn't actually want to take the ferry over there. (Wow. I never thought I'd appreciate the fact that he hates boats. I LOVE boats.) After Times Square we are off to the Loeb Boathouse in Central Park - for more drinking of course. The view. I meant we are going there for the view. We plan to walk from there through Central Park to the Met. We LOVE art museums. I imagine we will be there for many hours. And did I mention it has a bar? Actually I think it has two or three. How perfect is that? Look at fine art, have a glass of wine, look at fine art, have a beer. I could do that for hours. And the museum is open until after 8:00 p.m. That's the part of the trip I am most looking forward to. After that, we have no plans at all. We don't even have dinner plans. I like it like that.

~

Sunday, we really won't have much time between check-out and having to get to the airport, so we'll probably find a nice outdoor cafe to relax and rest our feet. It will go by pretty quickly, so I hope to take good pictures. My next post about this trip will be about our hotel and celebrities. Oh NO!!!

11 comments:

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Have a very, very good trip. Your itinery and pitstops sound very sensible. Look forward to your travel reports.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Geewits,
Just remember, the local pubs have the best food. On a different note, you were not "re-routed," I changed my URL. Enjoy your trip.

Jazz said...

Have a great trip. Your saturday will be quite the day!

Jo said...

Geewits, I am to ENVIOUS. I {{{heart}}} New York. Ha! This is a really nice time of year in New York as well. Central Park is lovely and fresh, and it’s a beautiful walk from there to the Met.

We took the Circle Line boat cruise around the island of Manhattan, and it was really nice, but sort of choppy. But it was tons of fun.

When we were there, we were sitting at an outdoor cafĂ© on Central Park South and Sixth Avenue, and I said to my daughter, “I wonder if we’ll see any celebrities, and she said, “Oh Mother, we won’t see any celebrities... Mother, Mother, Mother, Tom Hanks, Tom Hanks, Tom Hanks...!” He was sitting right next to us, and he and I looked at each other, and then we look at my daughter, and we all burst out laughing.

We want to see LOTS of photos, to be sure to pack your camera. (You spelled itinerary right.)

Josie

Jo said...

I meant to say "so envious". But you knew that. :-)

geewits said...

LGS,
Thanks! I'm not a laptop person, so maybe I should make some notes for when I get back.

JR,
I'm all about the local pubs. Soho is supposed to be a good place for that type of thing. As for the Eddie thing. I thought maybe you were showing one of your prisoner's drawings. Were you?

Jazz,
Thanks! I hope so.

Josie,
Wow, Tom Hanks! My husband hates boats and gets seasick. I'm afraid I will never be able to do anything like that with him. I was surprised he rode on the ferry from San Diego to Coronado. He took dramamine, but that made him sleepy. Oh well.

Rayna Nielsen said...

Have fun on your trip. NY is great.

Ian Lidster said...

Just remember, the Bronx is 'up' and the Battery's 'down' and you'll do fine. Envy your trip.

Ian

Jammie J. said...

You're gonna have a great time. If you take lotsa pictures, you won't have to take notes. Hehe. I've never been to NYC. It's somewhere I still wanna go. :)

geewits said...

Rayna,
Thanks! I'll try. I still need clothes, and I HATE to shop.

Ian,
I'm a map person. I've been studying the map of the area we'll be visiting for quite some time. Maps, they are good.

Jeanette,
I can't believe you haven't been to NY! I WILL take lots of pictures, just not as many as you would.

Anonymous said...

Sounds all planned out! I bet you'll have a great time!