Tuesday, March 20, 2007

These Vagabond Shoes


Live from New York!: My Sweetie came home from work on Friday and announced that we would be spending a weekend in NYC in June. I was completely taken aback. For years I wondered if I would ever see New York again. I went two years in a row to see Duke play at Madison Square when I was a teenager. I haven't been since. At first I was excited, then I felt very nervous and self-conscious. All I could think was, "I'm too fat to go to New York and I don't know what to wear." Plus, after reading Overheard in New York, I thought, "I'm going to be one of those bumpkin tourists that New Yorkers make fun of!" I am the most casual of dressers and have been wearing the same old summer shoes for about 4 years. I will definitely need new stuff. After giving it more thought, I figure that there will be MOSTLY tourists in New York on a weekend in June. Maybe I can just blend in. I hope they will all be fat. And have thicker southern accents. And bad shoes.
~
~
Light at the end of the tunnel: Tomorrow after a little more prep work, I will be putting a coat of primer on my bathroom walls. I can't wait! I still can't believe I started this renovation last June. That's CRAZY! I may need to do some more wall work, but at this point I decided that having the walls all one color would help me to see what else I may need to do. I did put away the power sander today and my shoulders were so thankful. That thing really "put some hurtin' " on my shoulders and upper arms. My mudwork seriously improved over time and I think my corner work came out pretty well. I had one regular corner and an odd corner - 135 degrees - which needed a lot of work. (By the way, I just had to draw a picture and access the tiny geometry part of my brain to figure out the angle of that odd corner.) I can't wait to get that coat of primer on. I may even get up early. Yeah, right.
~
~
Weird thought: I was wondering something odd the other day. If a wasp were in your car and you noticed it after driving several miles, stopped, and let it out, would it find its way back home? Or would it wander around aimlessly and die? Or would it just start a new life in its new location? Does anyone know an entomologist?

10 comments:

Jazz said...

1 - Thanks for that New York site, it's hysterical.

2 - I guess it would die. Unless they're like homing pigeons and can always find their way back. They might be like that. But how long would it take them to fly? and would other wasps get annoyed if it came into their territory? My head is spinning now. I must go lie down.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

I'm no entomologist but from what I know I would guess that it would die cause it will need a chemical trail to find its hive.

geewits said...

Jazz,
Yeah there's a lot of funny stuff on there. Sorry I made your brain spin!

Squirrel,
I had a feeling you would know something about that!

Ian Lidster said...

Congrats on the New York trip. Lucky you.
About the wasp. I was once on a flight from the Cook Islands to LA and there was a fly on the plane. I also wondered how a fly from a tropical paradise might adjust to life in La-la-land. A frightening thought, even if it was just a lowly fly.

Ian

Jo said...

You lucky girl! New York is my favorite city in the world (next to Paris). Where will you be staying? There is no place like Central Park in June. It's right out of the movies.

Josie

Malnurtured Snay said...

Who cares? It's an effin wasp!

geewits said...

Ian,
A fly on a plane? That's a horrible thought right there.

Josie,
I don't know where we'll stay. The company that is putting us up is at 8th and Broadway so my guess is someplace near there. Central Park is the one thing I didn't do on my other trips so I am really looking forward to that.

Tai said...

Hmmm, I don't have the right clothes for New York either. Rats, guess I can't go!

BAH, I say...BAH!

Go and enjoy and live to tell the tale!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh! New York! Now there's somewhere I wanna go. :)

I wonder just what the life span of a wasp is?

geewits said...

Tai,
Yeah, I'll have to figure it out. Maybe Josie can help.

J,
Surely you've been to N.Y.? It would be cool to have drinks with Evil Julie!