Tuesday, March 06, 2007

One of My Jobs


There's an ad on TV that's currently running where a guy talks about all the different types of bosses he's had and I thought, "Hmmm, that would make a great post." And that made me think of all the jobs I've had. And that made me think of this old newspaper clipping I had of me running camera for a cable show. It was in the Dallas Morning News and I was all proud of myself for being in the paper. At the ripe old age of almost 20 I had already been to Times Square on New Year's Eve, been to a Super Bowl and been interviewed on a local TV station and on a radio station (Yeah I was like Forest Gump like that). I was so tickled about being in the Dallas paper, but when I showed people the clipping they all said the same thing. "What's with your lips?" Here's a close-up:



Maybe it's not that clear in this old clipping, but I was doing this weird lip-pursing thing. And that was the only remark I got. I was more excited about being in the paper than I was about being on TV or the radio because, because I had something to keep. People didn't have VCR's when I was on TV, so if you didn't see it, you didn't see it. I didn't see it.

What happened was, I was majoring in Media Productions at Tarrant County College and I was hand-picked by my teacher to intern at Storer Cable. It was fun, I earned credit towards school, and they kinda promised me a job. It's funny when I look back at it, but after the semester was over I kept phoning my contact at the cable company saying, "So where's my job?" I think they hired me because they were tired of my phone calls.

It was a fun job for the most part. It was a combination of running local programming (basically putting giant videos into a machine and logging the times for the FCC) and doing local video productions. I hated covering city council meetings, but I loved taping the chamber of commerce luncheons because they were at fancy country clubs and we got to eat there for free. I guess the highlight was taping the Texas high school football playoff (or championship?) at Texas Stadium. Not that I'm a Cowboy's or even a football fan - it's that as I stood in the camera niche in the stadium I kept thinking of all the professional cameramen who had stood in the exact same spot. Plus we had access to the whole press area. I was walking around thinking of all the famous people who had been in the same spots. Howard Cosell and all kinds of people. And it even snowed a little that day (just flurries), so it was all happy crazy. I also met the first guy I lived with on that job. At the ripe old age of 21 I finally moved out of my parents' home. We weren't madly in love, we were just tired of living "at home" and so far from work. It was a "live-together of convenience." I always wonder what happened to that guy. He was really sweet.

Bad Tooth News: I will see the endodontist today to either clear me for a filling replacement and a crown or a root canal. I vote for the first option. Wholeheartedly. And that's all I have to say about that.

16 comments:

Ian Lidster said...

I didn't know you'd had a foray into the media biz. Cool. Love the picture and the pursed-lips.
As for the dentist,yeah, option one works best.
Cheers,
Ian

geewits said...

Ian,
It was fun for a while, then we got a new director, who was sexist. She would only take guys on shoots and leave me to run programming. That got old fast.

The endodontist cleared my tooth - I DO NOT need a root canal -YAY!

Dan said...

Look at you in that photo! Wow! That's so exciting!

Root canals aren't as bad as they seem. I've had 2 or 3 already. My teeth are my Achilles heal. Best of luck and hang in there!

Jo said...

Geewits, I think it's so exciting that you have been to Times Square on New Year's Eve. I have ALWAYS wanted to do that. I've been to Times Square, but never on New Year's Eve.

And good for you that you don't have to have a root canal. Not the most fun thing in the world...

Josie

Anonymous said...

Yay you for no root canal! Hurrah!

Love the news article -- it's an adorable picture of you, so concentrated. Look at the bright side, your lips were pursed in concentration, I presume, but at least you didn't have your tongue sticking out the left side of your mouth or something. My sweetie does that when he's really concentrating. Makes me laugh. :) Reminds me of the time I was addicted to playing Mrs. Pacman on the big arcade game at the grocery store and I would hold my bangs out of my eyes -- a friend pointed that out to me one time and then I lost the game. Pfft.

geewits said...

Dan,
You must be from a different planet from me to say root canals aren't bad. It was my worst thing ever and I saw my Dad die suddenly. I know that sounds horrible, but I'm sure he would agree with me.

Josie,
You might not enjoy it now (or maybe you would). These days it's more like a Disney ride with queues and security booths and stuff. I was there 78/79 and it was a mad crazy free-for-all. But I was 17 and immortal! Lol!

J,
It's funny the stuff we do when we're concentrating. Video games-wise, I once realized I stood on my tip-toes when I played Centipede - oh, and foosball too.

Anonymous said...

LOL -- did you win when you were on your tiptoes, then?

geewits said...

J,
Uhm, yeah, sure. I always win. Kinda, sorta. *)

Jazz said...

I love the look of concentration on your face. At least you don't do like I do and stick your tongue out when you concentrate.

geewits said...

Jazz,
It's a very good thing that I don't. I'm such a spazz, I probably bite it off!

Tai said...

Cool job AND cool picture!
(I always wonder about those guys from long ago, too!)

Gary said...

Nice job. I've been in front of a camera a few times, but never behind one.

Jo said...

Geewits, you must go over to this blog and read the joke:

http://goforthand.blogspot.com/

I think you'll laugh.

Josie

(I don't know how to do the link, so you'll have to cut and paste).

Anonymous said...

What a neat old clip- even today with all the recording equitment we have, there's something special about seeing one's name "in print".
I am also a fan of literature I can hold in my hand rather than reading on the computer (though I do alot of that these days, too!)
I found you from Dan's Blah Blah Blog- just thought I'd come over and say hi. "Hi!"

geewits said...

Tai,
Thanks!

Gary,
I prefer behind the camera!

Josie,
Wee! Wee! Wee!

Lizard Princess,
Hi! Right back at ya!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.