Monday, December 15, 2008

Being Jolly Through The Crap

Anyone that has been reading my blog for any amount of time knows that I am a positive, glass half full type of person. The yard sale was a total bust. Although it was mostly sunny and warm, the wind was CRAZY. 20 - 30 m.p.h with gusts up to hell. I already stated that we live on a cul-de-sac, so I was counting on the external signs and my Craig's List ad. Well when My Sweetie went to grab us some lunch he found that both of our signs had blown away. Not only that, but one of our metal spikes WAS BENT!! From a cardboad sign!! That's how strong the wind was. It was crazy constantly running across the yard gathering things back up. And I think it is instinctual when it is that windy to want to go home. Anyway the yard sale sucked for the most part and the worst part was I found out after my very nice trip to visit Mom that my step-dad was very disappointed with my efforts for all of their house stuff. The people that are close to me that I told were very, uhm, disgruntled about his attitude, but it just made me sad. I don't believe in what-ifs, but I do wish now that I had let them hire someone to do all the work that I did. Oh well.
~
I was so blue after the "yard sale" I did my thing of making lemonade from lemons and decided to give Carole something she had admired. I also made a pretty arrangement from some gold and red poinsettias in a red and gold vase for my MOW lady. We visited her for a while in her rehab place and then went to visit Bill in the hospital. Visiting people in hospitals can put things in perspective no matter how crappy things have been. And things have been really crappy.
~
It seems like we spent a FORTUNE on home repairs this year. It was always something. I could probably go back through my blog and get a good idea of how much we spent, but I really, really would rather not.
~
And cats. Oh my. We've had terrible luck with our cats. I gave Rufus to my daughter and then he "disappeared" and Maxie and Lilly had to be put to sleep and then Barney was just injured twice. He's fine now, thank goodness, and just as sweet as ever.
~
I have to keep reminding myself of the good stuff from this year. The State Fair was great and I really loved our beach cottage. But I have to say that the two best things from this year were: 1) My Sweetie went back to school to get his degree and 2) I made a new friend. Those two things are really big and I think outweigh all the crap.
~
I'll be more postive later. I hope.

10 comments:

VioletSky said...

Thank God it is now the end of the crappy year and hopefully with 2009 things will start getting better.

How is Bill?

Scarlet said...

Sorry to hear about the yard sale. That wind must've been pretty fierce to bend a metal spike! Wow!

I wish you the best in 2009 with your smart hubby and new friend and all the things that really matter.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

No fun in the windy yard sale, and it sucks that all of your efforts are unappreciated. That would take the wind out of my sails too.

Let's hope 2009 is a better year. ::clink glasses of lemonade::

Ian Lidster said...

Well, the 'half-full' part was pretty good, and that's all we can ask for.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

"No Good Deed Goes UnPunished"...isn't that the saying? You worked so very hard to help your Mom & Bill....And niw he says he is disapoointed....Well, that has to be very disappointing to you.

I am sorry to read that the Yard Sale was a Bust! That is such hard work too....!

In just a few days this year will be over....I pray that 2009 will be a better year.

Carole said...

Gee, I know...and lots of other people know that you worked your butt off for your mom & step-dad, and that showed your strong & good character! Your step-dad is now showing his bad character in being such an ungrateful boob. You can take away the knowledge that you did the right thing and are the better person for doing so. I guarantee your mother appreciates all that you did! Don't let his ungrateful heart effect you and your good deeds. There's always someone who will try and spoil and squelch the goodness of others.

As for the cute musical snowman you brought me, thanks again so much! Glad he didn't blow away. hee hee That was one crazy windy day. I felt like Dorothy and thought I saw all kinds of things blowing past my window. :-)

Getting to know you has been one of my biggest blessings in 2008! What a dear friend you've become!

Jazz said...

I'll be more positive later

You're not even sounding all that negative to me...

Anonymous said...

Well it really bites that they were disappointed after all your hard work. Parents! Sheesh. A coworkers (M) mother called her today at work and asked her to go buy gifts for the 15 grandchildren -- she didn't know what, but reckoned (M) could figure it out -- she'd email some money into her account to cover the cost of the gifts. HELLO? It's a week before Xmas and M hasn't finished her own preparations. She totally lost it and told Mom to piss off. Sometimes you just gotta put your foot down with those old folk.

Jammie J. said...

I concur with Jazz. You really don't sound terribly negative, you just sound like someone who's hurt, disappointed, frustrated and a little sad.

I mean, I think I would be hurt if I worked my ass off like you did and then to find out your work wasn't appreciated.

Frustrated because you go to all that effort to have a yard sale and then the wind blows your signs away.

Disappointed and sad are natural reactions to those things.

Negativity, in my opinion, is something that seeps from your soul. I sure don't see that in you.

geewits said...

VioletSky,
~~No kidding! I will ring in the New Year like a madman. I mean 2008 was no 1980 but I didn't really care for it.

Scarlet,
~~Thanks! Yeah, it was crazy seeing that bent spike.

Gnightgirl,
~~Lemonade? hee hee hee.

Ian,
~~Yes. The good stuff was really good.

Naomi,
~~Great saying and so appropriate here. (Bill is my FIL in the hospital, my step-dad is someone else.) Yes, I am so looking forward to 2009!

Carole,
~~Thanks so much. This is why you are my wise friend.

Jazz,
~~You crack me up. Thanks!

Xup,
~~He just doesn't like me. I probably remind him of my Dad.

Jammie,
~~Yeah, I have a hard time complaining about anything because my brain always goes, "Well at least..." or "But, this part was good." Yeah I think I was hurt and disappointed, but after talking to Carole today I feel much better.