Wednesday, October 17, 2007

It's Fair Time, Ya'll



Well the day has finally come! My Sweetie has taken tomorrow off, and after Meals on Wheels, we are going to the Texas State Fair. I love the State Fair! My favorite things are seeing the dogs round up sheep, the craft contests, especially the photography and the quilts, and trying new weird food. Tomorrow I'm going to try Fried Guacamole! That dude in the picture is Big Tex. He welcomes everyone to the fair.

~

The funny thing is we have done this so many times, we practically can do it without thinking and are usually through with everything we want to do in just a few hours. Because my knee is still not at 100%, I expect we will be there longer and take things slower this time. I also always win a stuffed animal by throwing darts at balloons. I am a Freaking Master at that! And I do it with my eyes closed! I'm also good at squirting water in the clown's mouth. (Always pick the spot with the freshest balloon.) I want to do all the fun and spook houses tomorrow, too. Well the ones where you ride.

~

I started a new thing last year - that we do something new. Last year we went to the Women's Museum for a special Marilyn Monroe exhibit and this year they are having "Costumes by Hollywood costumers and designers from the past 70+ years." That sounds like fun. Plus they have a new skyway air train thing that goes over the whole midway. The only thing is it's supposed to be very windy tomorrow, so that may not be running. Oh and they have a horse whisperer type show called "Spirit of the Horse." I hope my knee is good for the afternoon - which in case I haven't said, tested negative for arthritis. The little card didn't mention gout though. I guess I should call about that.

~

Anyway, I'm very excited about going to the fair. I've gone almost every year since 1981. I wish all of you could come with us. Instead, I will take lots of pictures and tell you all about it. Yee-Ha!

8 comments:

Scarlet said...

Fried guacamole...I'll have to google that one!

The fair sounds like a great time, especially for a Master dart thrower like you.

Have a great time!!

Jazz said...

I had the same thought as Scarlet: fried guacamole??

Have fun at the fair, the way you talked to me about it I'm totally envious...

ticknart said...

The Texas state fair sounds way better than the California one is. Sure, we got to see Weird Al for the price of admission, but the only animals were ones brought by UC Davis, basically pigs, goats, and cows, and the fried avocado I bought was cold, the bastards. I'd really like to see sheep herding some time, that has to be a lot of fun. And having it in October instead of in August's 110 degree weather is way smarter, too. (The funnel cake was good, though.)

Jo said...

Omigosh, that museum sounds wonderful. I would love to see costumes from Hollywood designers. Lucky you! I think that would be the perfect job, being a costumer designer. That, and being a foley artist.

Have fun at the fair. I hope your knee holds up.

We want to see a picture of the stuffed animal you win :-)

Cheers,
Josie

geewits said...

Scarlet and Jazz,
~~Unfortunately the fried guacamole was a big disappointment. It kinda tasted like dirt. I missed my first of three darts and couldn't believe it, but I made the next two.

Ticknart,
~~For some reason they didn't have the dogs rounding up sheep this year. They alternated with dancing dogs, which we saw and were cute, and dogs that jump into a pool from a diving board which we did not see, but we've seen that on Letterman. And we did see a pretty cow.

Josie,
~~The costumes were nice although it was a small show. A couple of them were not original - like there was a Bob Mackie interpretation of a Scarlett O'Hara dress, but most were originals. Man, Liz Taylor had a TINY waist! The only dresses that looked like normal sizes were those worn by Barbra Streisand and Julie Andrews. And my knees made it, but my toes got sore. It's always something. I'll get the pictures up and post about it tomorrow.

Tai said...

Aw boo! I forgot about your poor knee when I wrote my post!
Well, I hope you have a wonderful time, and that your knee holds out.

Jo said...

Geewits, on one of your comments on my blog you asked me if I have a fireplace, and now I can't find the comment, and I can't remember if I answered you. Yes, I have a fireplace in my little treehouse. It's quite small, but very cozy.

Cheers,
Josie

Ian Lidster said...

Have fun at the fair and may your knee treat you well.