Monday, December 05, 2005

Great Weekend (and glad for the 0.6 seconds)!

From The Durham Herald-Sun

Virginia Tech players Jamon Gordon and Wynton Witherspoon stood on their seats along the Hokies bench for a better view. Below, teammates locked arms, swinging and swaying in anticipation.
In 1.6 seconds, the Hokies were set to storm midcourt at Cameron Indoor Stadium to celebrate a stunning victory over top-ranked Duke.
But thanks to Duke senior Sean Dockery, the Hokies never made it to midcourt.
Dockery took a Josh McRoberts pass near midcourt, took one dribble and launched a 40-footer from the right side that found the bottom of the net and left Duke fans to celebrate a stunning victory at midcourt, 77-75.

It didn't look like Duke (7-0) would need any last-second heroics after seemingly shaking free from the Hokies (5-3) for the first time all game. In a game that featured 19 lead changes and 12 ties, the Blue Devils went on an 11-2 run to build a 74-63 lead with four minutes left.
But the Blue Devils wouldn't score again until Dockery's dagger.
Virginia Tech reeled off 12 straight points, taking the lead when Coleman Collins capped his career-high 25-point game with a tip-in of a Gordon miss with 1.6 seconds left. The clock actually ticked down to 1.0 seconds, but as Duke players lined up on the court, hoping for a miracle, officials finished their review of a replay and added 0.6 seconds.


WOW! What a great ending to my anniversary weekend! And thank God for DVRs!! When they originally had the time at one second, I stoically shrugged my shoulders and said, "Well there's nothing they can do in one second." and left to go have a smoke. I was sitting in there thinking how I was going to post about Duke's first loss of the season. I had already come up with a title line like My Weekend: Great Beginning, Suck Ending. A few minutes later, My Sweetie just HOWLED! He ran in there to tell me and I said, "Quick, rewind it and pause it!" I really love the DVR! That shot by Dockery was beyond amazing. I was in shock. I muttered, "I wasn't even going to cry when I thought we lost and now I'm crying!" It was a beautiful shot. Dockery is THE MAN! So my weekend had a great beginning and a great ending.

When My Sweetie got home Friday, we exchanged cards and gifts. He got me the cutest lion and tiger. It's hard to describe them, but they are small with long stringy arms and legs with magnets on the ends, so now they ride around with me on the wheelchair. They're so cute! He helped me with my shower and we were out of here by 8:00. We went to Mercado Juarez and had a great dinner. I was so happy to finally have that killer warm (as in heated - it's very spicy) salsa. Then we went to Pockets and played shuffleboard. It's easy to play shuffleboard in a wheelchair. I almost felt like it gave me and advantage, but My Sweetie won every game. Each game, I'd get a good lead and then he'd catch up. I didn't care because it was just nice to be out of the house. Their handicap stall was not so good. I got in okay, but it took me forever to get out. When I first got in the bathroom, it was empty except for one girl. Yep, you guessed it. She was in the handicapped stall. She was so embarassed when she came out and saw me. I told her it was no biggie. Seriously, their regular stalls are TINY and she was VERY large. I don't think she could have closed the door in one of their regular stalls.

The only bad news about the weekend, was I apparently did not baby my foot enough Friday. I think I must have put a lot of pressure on it on the wheelchair foot rest because it has been really sore since then. Nothing that Advil can't fix, but it is sore. So Saturday, I pretty much slept all day. We did make dinner Saturday night. I mostly coached. Saturday Night Live was pretty funny. Dane Cook hosted and I believe that's the first time a stand-up comic has hosted since the 70's. I'm not sure about that, though. And we watched In Good Company. I thought it was a really good movie. Apparently it was poorly marketed.

In TV News, I found out that Scrubs will return on January 3rd. They will run 2 original episodes back to back each Tuesday at 8:00 my time (central) so I just hope American Idol will be on at 7:00. If you are a big Scrubs fan and don't know about this site: http://www2.foxsearchlight.com/gardenstate/blog/index.html you will love it. We finished up our latest Netflix order and will send it back tomorrow, so we should have my next pick by Friday which is The Cider House Rules. I've only seen it once and have been wanting to see it again for a while.

So, except for irritating the hell out of my poor old broken foot, I had a really nice weekend. Oh and we had the waitress take a picture, but she only took one. We go out every year for our anniversary, and I usually have them take two or three so I can pick out the best one for my wedding album (I put in an anniversary picture every year), so I guess we are stuck with however that one picture turns out. I hope it's not too horrible!

No comments: