Thursday, December 15, 2005

Foot Update and Movie Review


Stormy, the boot

I forgot to mention that I finally went to the doctor last Friday. They wrote me a prescription for this thing for my foot. I named it "Stormy," because it reminds me of a Storm Trooper boot from Star Wars. Mine looks exactly like that one except it is on the other foot. I think it has helped a lot. I expect to be using it to walk on pretty soon. I may even wear it to San Diego since it will be a mostly walking vacation. Better safe than sorry.

Geewits' Very Simple Movie Review:
The new Harry Potter movie was pretty good as far as movies in general go. But first I must say that I've not read any of the books, which has its good points. Like watching the Lord of the Rings movies and going, "What the heck happened to Tom Bombadil?" Or seeing the miniseries "The Stand" and going "Oh, I get it, they rolled these two women into one woman." The worst was I saw Jurassic Park TWO DAYS after I read the book and was sitting there thinking, "Well where's THAT GUY?!?" (Note: Do not read a book immediately before seeing the movie! Ever.) I'm just glad there will be a long time between reading The Da Vinci Code and seeing the movie, although I don't see that there are an excess of characters that would have to be cut, or worse yet, rolled into one character. But I digress. There are two basic things I did not like about the movie: the negative infighting of the trio of friends. Their camaraderie has always been one of the best aspects of the series to me. And if it's supposed to reflect the reality of kids that age, give me a break, like kids that age, in reality, are going to have an argument about a dragon. It's fantasy and in a perfect fantasy, friends stay tight ALWAYS! The other thing was there was a scene that seemed almost a direct rip off from Star Wars VI. Oh and the third thing. Wait, I said two things, what was I thinking? The third thing was I missed the mirth present throughout the other movies, not to mention the clever visuals that were just thrown in and not part of the plot. But still it was a good movie. I'd recommend it, although someone who HAS read the book told me she was very disappointed.

Oh and it was nice just getting out of the house and seeing all the Christmas lights in the neighborhood (I haven't been out at night since our anniversary - December 2nd). I'll have to make a date with My Sweetie for this weekend to cruise around and see the Christmas lights and listen to Christmas music. Speaking of which, it's time to put some on (music, not lights) and play some poker.

2 comments:

Brighton said...

Wear the boot, especially if your planning on doing a lot of walking.
Also, I missed the fun Harry Potter aspects as well. How come the people in the pictures didn't move around like in the other movies? It was missing an element that the other three movies had.
Have a wonderful holiday!

Jammie J. said...

"My, what a lovely boot you have."

"Why, yes, dearie. All the better to walk around you with!"

Heh. Okay, not funny. I tried.

I liked the new Harry Potter flick, but then I haven't read any of the books, so I'm easy to please. :)