Friday, December 09, 2005

Early Friday Morning

I was so happy I figured how to do the links. ifilm has some really good stuff on it. There's one from Craig Ferguson's talk show with a fake interview of Jeniffer Anniston, and a real clip of Constantine Maroulis falling on his ass. I haven't even begun to plumb the depths of that site. On the one I named funny music videos, scroll down to other songs and watch "Gay Bar." That's my favorite, although I am also partial to "First Drink of the Day." APOD is Asronomy Picture of the Day and is a really cool site. I look at that one every day. I've been an astronomy buff for years. I have a 5" telescope and can make out the rings of Saturn. That singing horses site is just addictive. You can be your own sound engineer by constantly clicking and changing the pattern of the song. I love that thing.

My Movie Rant: I loved Ang Lee's The Ice Storm and therefore I have great respect for him. I did not see HULK, the movie that almost killed his career. Well now, he's pushing Brokeback Mountain based on a short story by Annie Proulx. Here's the part I'm mad about: One of my very favorite movies, The Shipping News, was based on an Annie Proulx novel and she is going around in interviews saying Brokeback Mountain is true to her story, she didn't want to sell the rights blah blah, blah, because Hollywood ruined The Shipping News. Okay, so I didn't read her original novel, but I LOVE that movie. So all I'm thinking here is that it's all about the dollar. The Shipping News wasn't seen by that many people, therefore had low box office, so she's saying it was bad? Just to push this new movie? My guess is she is invested monetarily on the box office take on this new movie. Okay I know a lot of authors diss the movie versions of their work, but it's the first I've heard of her disappointment with TSN and I thought the timing was...well, interesting.
Maybe her dissing it will make the price go down and I can get the DVD cheaper now to replace my beloved VCR copy.

I guess being stuck here in the house with my broken foot has made me boring as hell. One of my sweet ladies from Meal on Wheels called me Wednesday to see how I was doing. She said "I miss seeing you here every Wednesday." I thought that was so sweet. I asked her if her house was warm enough with this crazy arctic blast we got (It would be nothing to northerners, but it hit us Texans like a ton of bricks) and she said she was fine. I do have something to look forward (or dread) on Saturday. Duke, still the number one team, will be playing Texas, the number two team. We've been struggling (although winning) since DeMarcus Nelson was injured so I have a bad feeling Texas might kick our ass. It's going to be a tough game. If we win, it will be thrilling! If we lose...well, I'll probably cuss a lot, drink too many beers and take a long nap.

No comments: