Monday, October 24, 2005

I Was Robbed

My favorite month has always been October. Well as an adult anyway. It was probably December or June when I was a kid. But October in this part of Texas has always been the one month you could count on for perfect weather. The summer months are insanely hot and winter months are hell if you're someone who likes to lay out your clothes the night before work. Because on any given winter day it might be 30, it might be 40, or 50 or 60. You never really knew until you woke up and watched the weather. Or it might drop or raise 20 degrees in the middle of the afternoon. When I worked, I always kept an emergency jacket in the car. Well, October was always the one month I could count on.

Until this year.

I really feel like I've been robbed of something precious. How do you rail against mother nature? There's nothing to be done about it. It's not fair though. Our hot summer lasted all the way into the 3rd week of October and with maybe 2 days of fairly nice weather -BOOM: 58 degrees and drizzly. It sucks when you switch your thermostat from A/C to Heat with no real break of just fans and windows open. I know intellectually that it's ridiculous to rant about something over which you have absolutely no control, but still...

Well, the good news is they are forecasting 69 degrees and sunny for Wednesday. If that's the case, I will enjoy my day out, and when I get home, I will open the windows. My daughter is going to drive me for Meals on Wheels Wednesday and then we are going to buy and carve pumpkins. I carve a good pumpkin. I'll post a picture of last year's pumpkin this week.

We finally got a cover for our spa today and that's timing because this cold snap will probably cause the leaves to literally rain down. No more skimming - yay! I guess covering the spa, turning on the heat and lugging out the humidifiers are the sure signs of the turn of the seasons. I just wasn't ready for it yet. I feel discombobulated from not having my normal October transition. Oh well, like I said, there's nothing I can do about it. Except pick a new favorite month. Maybe April.

No comments: