Sunday, October 30, 2005

Halloween Fun

Last year I discovered the spiderwebs and I made the coolest creepiest spiderweb canopy for my front porch. I also draped the bushes leading up to the front porch. I'm going to do that again tomorrow but I'm going to add something cool. A couple of years ago I made a headless stuffed man. The crafty part was the neck part. I somehow was able to shape this foam stuff to look like a neck. In the middle I put the white cap from a Colgate shaving cream travel size can. This looks like the spine bone sticking out. Then I painted blood pouring out. I haven't used it in several years but just came up with a variation. I'm just going to stuff the shirt with the neck thing and put it right in front of the bushes by the front door. I'll surround it with leaves. The look will be a headless ghoul pulling itself out of the ground. All I have are green clear rubber gloves, but I'll fill them with water and paint red nails for the hands. Maybe I'll put enough leaves around them so they are not so obvious. If it looks cool, I'll take a picture. I'm looking forward to doing the webs. That was fun last year.

I don't know if I posted this already, but last year I was so tickled when I heard a lady walking up and the kids were all saying stuff and she said to another lady, "This lady always does something special." I don't go all out. I just dress up and do my front porch - which is very small - hardly worthy of being called a porch. Also, the entry to my library is right by the front door, so I can leap out right at the door in my costume. I'm going to be a witch/hag again this year, but I'm going to change it up a little. Two years ago I was the Cat in the Hat and for some crazy reason I spoke in Suess rhyme to everyone. I don't know where that was coming from. It just kept coming out of my mouth.

About 10 years ago, I sat out on the front porch (I had a real serious sized porch back then) in my belly-dancing costume, with lots of veils around me. I put my bowling ball under a glittery veil and told each group I was going to read their fortune in my crystal ball. I'd peak under the veil and tell them I knew their future: They would soon be receiving candy! Then I'd whip out the candy (hidden under the table). It was corny as hell and got old to me really fast but the kids loved it. Well now I'm so worked up, I want to go study all my Halloween stuff.

Happy Halloween!

No comments: