Monday, August 08, 2011

Where's My Mellow?

In the last ten years before Dad died at the ridiculously young age of 62, he was a fun pleasant mellow fellow. I know that everyone that reads this blog knows I adored Dad, but he was not always pleasant. Well, not always pleasant to others. He was always sweet to me with very few exceptions and I was probably equally to blame in some of those because I was a hothead myself at certain ages. Dad was a terrible husband. Dad also made many mistakes when it came to my brother. Both Mom and my brother always say that I was the lucky one. Dad had a terrible temper when he was younger and would fly off the handle. It was just never directed at me. But about ten years before he died, he had totally mellowed out. I assumed it was a natural part of the aging process.
~
So either I was wrong about mellowing being a natural part of the aging process, or I am just not normal. I've noticed that I have become less tolerant about certain things. The last time I stopped to pick up a rib dinner at the great rib place, the country music felt like it was stirring my brain and thumping me in the eyeball. I saw the bartender sit the bag down. After about four minutes I asked, "Is that mine?" She looked at my beer and replied, "I didn't realize you were ready to go." I said, "Oh, I am so ready to go. I hate country music." The guy next to me laughed. I continued, "You don't understand. My brain processes country music the same as it would a baby crying on an airplane." The bartender and the guy next to me thought this was all funny and I was not kidding. I wanted to GET OUT of that building.
~
I have also become worse and worse about children. Today's parents seem to be clueless and have lost all control and sometimes I just want to shake them and yell, "MAKE IT STOP!" Not the poor kids. The parents.
~
And because I've realized that my tolerance is slipping, I started thinking about the etiquette doyens who pretty much say that manners are what separate us from the rest of the animal kingdom. I guess I am becoming more like the rest of the animal kingdom. I'm surprised. I really thought I'd be getting my mellow on. But apparently I am going wild.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think getting mellow is the exception rather than the rule. Most people I know (including myself) are getting less tolerant with age. In my case, it's especially the kids. When I encounter wild kids in public I just want to slap the parents.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I'm going to steal your line about country music and screaming babies. Country grates on me too; I want to hang myself after long camping weekends with friends that insist on blasting it non-stop.

I think I've mellowed with age, simply because I care less. I don't waste my eneregy on things that would have me in a hissy fit when I was younger (usually other people's behavior).

Anonymous said...

My theory is that we all move towards the middle. Meaning, if we were very tolerant when we were young, we see ourselves becoming less tolerant and if we were hot tempered when we were young, then we tend to mellow as we age. Always the opposite. Of course there are some exceptions who just get crankier and crankier.

Or is it that we tend to become more like our parents, do you think?

Lo said...

Well, all I can say is I know you are not normal! Shivers... need I say more? Hee hee hee. I totaly love you though!

geewits said...

Jazz,
~~Oh, please do!

Gnightgirl,
~~Hats off to you. I would leave the campground pretty quick like.

LGS,
~~I was only sort of mellow in my forties. I had a fiery temper in my youth. Now I have more of a dry droll disdain for things.

Lo,
~~And I you.