Tuesday, June 08, 2010

It's Really Happening.

My daughter got an engagement ring in late spring of 2008. To be honest, I didn't think a whole lot of it. I remember getting a ring when I was young from the dude I lived with and I knew I wasn't going to marry him, but I preferred to say "fiancé" rather than "boyfriend" because it made me feel more mature. (heh heh)
~
Last year she told me she had picked a date: 10/10/10. As it was still over a year away, I still didn't think much about it. A few months ago I was chatting with someone on Facebook and he said something like, "I can't believe she's 25!" and I responded, "Yeah and she's supposedly getting married in October." Well, the very next day, I got a photo sent to my phone of what looked like the aisle of a church. I texted her, "Did you get married?" because I wasn't sure what I was looking at.

~
She called me laughing and said it was a picture of the wedding chapel I had once mentioned to her. She was touring it and about to put down a deposit. I was all "Really?" And then that was that and so I pretty much forgot all about the whole thing.
~
School wrapped up a few weeks ago and my daughter went into full swing. On Saturday, my daughter, her groom-to-be and I went to a country club to take a tour and find out about food and pricing for the reception. The catering director offered to buy us lunch in the club. I had eaten but the kids were starving and I can always use a few beers, so we accepted.
~
Well we sat there and decided to use the place and then continued to make a "to do" list for all things wedding and the three of us had some fun discussions. The catering director also brought us a sampler of some appetizers to try which was fun. Since it will be a Sunday afternoon reception we are keeping it light with hors d'oeuvre. (I left the "s" off of the end on purpose so as not to offend my French readers.)
~
At one point I said, "Well this is certainly not something I've ever done before." It was really a fun and unique experience for all three of us. Later that night My Sweetie took us all out to dinner, where we continued discussing wedding things. So I guess it's really happening. The wheels are turning and the train has left the station.
~
~
~
(On a side note, the country club we chose is the one that my parents were members of for maybe 10 years. I also worked there the summer after my freshman year in college as a groundskeeper. My daughter actually stayed in their childcare room once when she was maybe 3 while I attended a ladies golf banquet with Mom, so it's like coming full circle or something. That's also the place where I learned the very best joke in the world and I still tell it to this day.)

7 comments:

Jazz said...

Ok that's a teaser. What's the joke?

Congrats to your daughter and her boy...um fiancé.

Anonymous said...

10/10/10 is going to be easy for everyone to remember anyway. Cool pick! The next 4 months ought to be fun. She seems pretty down-to-earth and reasonable about it so there won't be any bridezilla scenes. Next thing you know, you're gonna be a granny!! Heh, heh, heh!

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

You're going to be a mother-in-law, how exciting. Look forward to wedding prep posts!

geewits said...

Jazz,
~~It has to be told in person. I'm surprised I didn't tell it when we met. Maybe I was too shy. Did I tell any jokes? I'd hate to think I did tell it and you forgot.

Xup,
~~She's always sworn up and down she did not want kids and actually looked into a permanent fix but they told her she was too young. You're right about her though. She's keeping it simple and easy.

Gnightgirl,
~~I'm not sure I have much more to do. I was in charge of food. I'll probably help with the invitations since I am a graphic artist.

VioletSky said...

Simple weddings are the most fun. Considering how exhausted they were, our wedding couple seemed to be really enjopying themselves instead of fretting over the details. I've heard horror stories of peolpe who barely remember the day, they were so stressed by it all.

geewits said...

VioletSky,
~~My daughter and I spent some time together today and we discussed just that. She, like myself, never had the wedding dreams that many girls have. She is only going through the whole process because it is important to the guy. So she really has little concern about any of it. If there will be any stress to be had it will probably be on his part.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

When you said you didn't 'think a lot of it'----I thought you meant the ring---That you didn't think it was very nice or something, then as your post went on I thought--Did you mean you didn't think much about the engagement...lol?
It sounds like the plans are really coming along! Exciting!