Thursday, November 12, 2009

My Mammogram P.S.A.

In the 5 or so years that I have been part of the blogging community, I have never had anything good to say about mammograms and have left comments all over the place about how horrible my experience was. And while that first mammogram in 2001 was truly a horrible experience, I wish to issue a personal retraction of those statements. Last Thursday, because of a dream I had this summer, I had my second mammogram and it was nothing. My only injury was to the left side of my neck caused by my nervous tension. Apparently my first mammogram was done by someone who was either a sadist or a poorly trained technician because the lady that performed this recent mammogram was very nice and gentle and did not cause me any pain whatsoever. I wholeheartedly regret if any of my previous statements have caused someone to not get a mammogram and I encourage all women to get their regular mammograms. Okay. I feel better now. All over. And my mammogram was clear.

4 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Glad to read your Mammogram was clear. And you were lucky to have such a good technician this time. My own experiences> Most of the time the Mammograms are extremely painful, and as you found out, they don't have to be! It all depends on who is doing it, unfortunately....!

Jazz said...

Glad it was clear but even seeing that picture hurts... I'm sure men devised mammograms - women would have found a way to do it with no boobage squashing. I'd stake my life on that.

ticknart said...

Hey, Jazz, if a regular guy had invented the mammogram all it would be is him feeling women's breasts all day. Why smoosh when you can cop a feel in the name of health and science?

Anonymous said...

I've had 2 and they were both worse than horrible. I also found out that there are less invasive and painful ways to test for breast cancer -- and that have less chances of coming up with false negatives, which mammograms are famous for.