Friday, November 21, 2008

Thoughts While Waiting


It's kind of funny that I spent my first 12 years just 85 miles from the beach and yet I've never been there in the winter. My Sweetie asked me the other day, "What's the beach like this time of year?" I said, "I have no idea." Being the eternal optimist, I am thinking that if I go at low tide, I will have all the good shells to myself. I am just now starting to think about my trip. I get my hair done this afternoon, Saturday I take Barney to get his stitches out and Monday I have my dental cleaning. Tuesday I fly to N.C. My bestest friend Lolo will be there on Friday to watch the Duke basketball game with me at some bar and she is going to spend the night with me in the tiny cabin.


Mom's birthday was yesterday and she turned the big SEVEN-O. I can't wait to see her. Although we talk on the phone A LOT, I haven't seen her since June. We have no plans for Thanksgiving because Mom, like me, is a Thanksgiving Rebel. We may have seafood or pork barbecue. I also have no plans for Wednesday, but I may see my old friend from 4th grade if she drives down from Goldsboro. I'm looking forward to seeing the beach in winter, seeing Mom and Lolo and having no particular plans. I think I need that.

8 comments:

Scarlet said...

"Thanksgiving rebel..." I like that, and I think I'm able to relate. We wait until the very last minute to make plans and then end up doing something else at the very last minute. I hate the pressure of having to please EVERYBODY because you end up pleasing no one (including yourself)...but that's another story and I don't want to dampen your mood, which sounds cheerful and optimistic. :)

Your mom is 70! Woo-hoo! Happy Birthday to her! That's a good age. I remember my 85-year old aunt telling me it was her favorite year. ;)

Your trip sounds fantastic...especially the part about the bar and the cabin. NICE.

I hope you get to see your 4th grade friend. That would be SO cool!!

Jazz said...

I hope you have a great vacation. And the ocean at this time of year is spectacular, as always. Espcially if you get a storm...

VioletSky said...

After a most hideous week, this sounds perfect. Enjoy to the fullest. Oh, and take pictures.

Carole said...

Gee, after reading your post, I am looking forward to the trip too, and I'm not even going! Haha Sounds like a perfectly wonderful time and lovely way to spend Thanksgiving weekend. You're going to get to go to the beach, have a sleepover, watch Duke play, get some much needed R&R, and eat your own home "comfort food" for Thanksgiving. I'll be thinking about you all weekend! I'll keep my cell phone with me, so if you get bored, or hear those wild N.C. bears (hee hee) foraging around the cabin, especially late at night, give me a call and tell me how things are going. As Tony the Tiger would say, have a GRRRREAT time! I'll miss you Sweetie Pie!

Anonymous said...

That, for sure, is the tiniest cabin I've ever seen -- unless it extends hundred of feet in the back?? Have a splendid time.

geewits said...

Scarlet,
~~So nice to know there are other Thanksgiving Rebels out there! I wonder if On the Border will be open? I can't wait to tell Mom what your aunt said.

Jazz,
~~I do not want a storm, thanks.

VioletSky,
~~Thanks for the good wishes and don't worry, I ALWAYS take pictures.

Carole,
~~You'll definitely hear from me. Have a great time with "The Kids" and take lots of pictures.

Xup,
~~From what I understand it houses a bunk bed that has a double on the bottom and a TV. There's not even a mirror. And I didn't ask if there was a chair. But I will have everything I need. It's just for sleeping and storing my stuff. I'll be at Mom's or elsewhere the rest of the time and it's a two minute walk to Mom's camper.

Jammie J. said...

The beach this time of year in California is deserted, quiet, peaceful and very cold. Mostly people jogging or walking their dogs. :) Take a jacket, but then you probably knew that.

I'm glad you'll have a good time. You may be a rebel with the food, but you're spending Thanksgiving with loved ones... and really, isn't that what Thanksgiving is for? :)

geewits said...

Jammie,
~~Yes. That's what it should be about.