Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Little Tile Table

If you guys are tired of hearing about my strange and random projects just let me know. A little backstory on this one is we moved the treadmill out of this room and moved a grey inherited chair in here and parked it in front of the TV which is between the two computers. I had this little wrought iron table outside that used to have a cute artsy cat tile in it. The tile got busted in the great hail storm of 2007. So it has been sitting out there broken for a year and a half. It's kinda small so I didn't really notice it and I didn't really need it for anything. Until now.
~
I didn't take a picture of the broken tile, but this is after I pried the broken pieces out:

(That's just a junk rug in the garage that I got out of Mom's garage, so don't judge me by it.) I thought I had a tile I could stick in the thing because we have some leftover floor tiles in the garage, but the ones I tried didn't fit. So I went to Home Depot and bought these two border trim strips:I laid them out in the table and finally found a pattern that fit and then I glued them in:

I wasn't really crazy about it at first because it reminded me of something Mondrian would have done and I am not a big fan. But I figured I could live with it. Next of course came the grout. I had trouble picking out a grout color, but I went with the lighter shade so the dark glass tiles would pop.:

Because I needed someplace to put my beer:

13 comments:

Big Brother said...

You are such a DIY sort of person... you should have your own show...;o)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Big Brother. I love your projects. They amaze and astonish me. And, I'm actually kind of fond of that rug in your garage, too.

Jazz said...

Is there anything you can't do?

Oh and either that beer is huge or the table really is small...

Scarlet said...

If only I could get off my butt and do something creative like this. Wow! I love your beer table!

You inspire me while I'm here, but when I leave I go back to drawing paper and HB6 pencils. Oh well.

I look forward to your next project.

Mr. Jazz said...

Geewits TV: I will subscribe!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

FABULOUS! That looks so great!

VioletSky said...

I enjoy seeing the transformation of your projects. And I'm rather partial to Mondrian, so I think it looks great.

You could set up a teaching video - before/after shots ... drawings ... descriptions ... beer

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

You make this look so easy. I love it!

Carole said...

Gee, your table looks fantastic! You did a beautiful job with those tiles. You are so clever and creative that everything you turn your hand to turns out terrific. Watching you do all these cool projects has honestly inspired me, and I'm looking for fun projects around here now too! Thanks!

geewits said...

Big Brother,
~~Have my own show? With Social Phobia? It would have to be a closed set with me, the camera man and a bartender.

Xup,
~~As for the rug, Mom did pick it out and she always had better taste than I did.

Jazz,
~~There are a trillion things I can't do (like go to Mount Everest, silly!). The beer is a regular canned beer. The table is really small- just right for a beer.

Scarlet,
~~If I could draw like you that's probably all I would do. Except I probably do Degas sketches on my walls.

Mr. Jazz,
~~I can't imagine any network sanctioning a show that starts with: First drink 6 to 7 beers so you won't be nervous.

Naomi,
~~Thanks!

VioletSky,
~~I could never do all of that because I lack continuity. Or something. Consistency?

GnightGirl,
~~Anything is easy after a few beers.

Carole,
~~Well you've been on the go since we met and I can't wait to see your latest switchplate. And as for everything turning out terrific? Uhm, heh heh, no. No one sees the mistakes.

Cycling Goddess said...

I tell you what... I supply the beer, you come over to do them projects, how's that? I'll even turn on the furnace for you so you can be warm and toasty. (haven't put the heat on yet lol)

Michael said...

I've been putting off putting up shelves in a closet for months. Please help me Geewits, you're my only hope.

geewits said...

Urban,
~~All of that sounds great except the heat. You can leave that off.

Michael,
~~Oh come on, my daughter and her friends did her closet shelves when she was in high school. They even used a drill. But then, they were theater people. I guess all that set building actually taught them something useful.