Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Most Hideous Week

My hideous week started two Monday nights ago. It was POURING rain and there was a slight chance of hail during the night so I decided to put Barney in the garage. He has a big doghouse, but I imagined that since it was raining so hard he was getting splashback in there. As I was carrying him in I thought he had a small wet leaf on his coat. When I got him into the garage, I saw he had a hole in his side. It was about the size of a penny and really gross. It seemed like I was looking at his muscle in there. I'm very queasy about stuff like that.
~
When I woke up on Tuesday I called the vet and took him in. They said it was a bite and had abscessed. They explained that an underskin had pulled way down and it had to be pulled up and stitched. And they would also put in drainage tubes. I left him there and drove down to Chili's to eat some lunch and drink some beers and wait for their call. I waited there until they called and then went to pick him up. He was all droopy and pathetic. I left him in his carrier and then grabbed his doghouse and dried it and put it in the garage with a giant clean towel inside. I set up his food and water and a litter box and let him out. He was all druggy and woozy and running into stuff with his "bonnet."

I had some pain medicine that you inject into his mouth and 20 (TWENTY) pills to give him over 10 days. (Pilling a cat is not pleasant. It was easy the first few days when he was sick, but now it's a bitch.) I stayed up with him way too long Tuesday night so I called Meals on Wheels and left a message explaining the situation and told them to get a sub for me.
~
My original plan for Wednesday had been to do MOW and then visit Bill because I had not seen him in over a week. When I woke up, I checked on Barney and decided he would be okay to leave for a few hours to visit Bill that afternoon. Except I couldn't leave the house. I tried three times. I haven't had an anxiety attack like that in AGES so it was very disheartening. Each time I thought, "Okay, I'm ready now" and head toward the door and start to shake and feel sick. I couldn't post about any of this at the time because it was all overwhelming.
~
On Thursday, I was able to make it to the hospital. I had a nice long visit and happened to be there when the heart doctor came in. He has the bedside manner of Darth Vader. I hadn't thought of the expression "whithering glance" for years until that doctor gave me one when I asked a question. I was so pissed at his response, I said, "Hey! I had to ask." I wanted to throw something at his head. Anyway what he said at the time (to Bill) was, "I'll pencil you in for Tuesday afternoon to go back in if your lung has not healed by then." Well it didn't and they did. It was at 2:00 this (Tuesday) afternoon and it reportedly went very well. They opened him up, found the hole in his lung, did two quick stitches and closed him back up. I'm going to visit after MOW today.
~
On Saturday, I took Barney to get his tubes out. He gets his stiches out this coming Saturday.
~
Sunday we had a nice visit with Bill at the hospital.
~
I hope MOW and my errands go well today. A funny thing that happened was that in phone calls, Mom was getting Barney and Bill confused with each other. She thought Bill had tubes taken out on Saturday. I still don't know what exactly caused the panic attack but I hope I don't have another one. Those things suck.

14 comments:

VioletSky said...

Injections AND pills?? Hope it's not stitches for you next!

Panic attacks sometimes have no rhyme or reason to them - speaking from my experience.

Scarlet said...

Sorry to hear about your panic attack, and I hope you don't get any more.

It's funny how your mom confuses Barney and Bill. I'm so glad you were there (and speaking up) on your FIL's behalf. What a blessing to have someone like you around at a time like this.

Thanks for the good wishes for my dad. He's doing a bit better. My best to Bill and Barney. :)

Jazz said...

Poor Barney... Glad the two B's are doing better.

As for the panic attack you have my total sympathy. I had one once in my life, years and years ago and I never want to go through one again.

Cycling Goddess said...

Oh poor Barney, I know about pilling a cat...

Glad to hear Bill is doing better and congrats on sticking it up to that snotty doctor.

Sorry about the anxiety attacks, it must be so frustrating to have them.

ticknart said...

You know, cats with shaved chunks look so pathetic and so funny at the same time. Poor kitty.

I'm sure he'll be a lot happier once he gets that radar dish off his head.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Lordy..you have had quite a time these last two weeks....Poor little Barney...Glad to read he is better, and Poor Bill....! I hope he too is on the road to recovery...!
Panic Attacks have to be 'the worst'....I hope that won't happen again for a very long time, my dear.

Carole said...

Gee, I agree with you. Anxiety attacks suck! Mine's been up some too. I think it's the time change. I fell back just a little too far and now am all out of sync. Oi! I'm glad you're feeling better though. Glad Bill & Barney are both doing better too! :)

geewits said...

VioletSky,
~~The injector pain medicine was in a syringe type thing that you squirt in his mouth - there was no needle. And only 4 of 20 pills left. Yay!

Scarlet,
~~Your Dad HAS to be okay. We all need his stories.

Jazz,
~~You are very lucky that you only had the one, as you know, they really do suck.

Urban Animal,
~~Yes, frustrating and irritating! And thanks on the doc thing. I was afriad he would show up when I was there today but he didn't.

Ticknart,
~~About 14 years ago I had a cat that had hip surgery. They shaved his hip area on one side but left fur down his leg. We called him "Sammy the Boot."

Naomi,
~~Thanks so much, it was not a good week. I hope it all gets better.

Carole,
~~Thanks! I'm glad we got to chat again the other day. Good luck with your appt. tomorrow.

Ian Lidster said...

Poor Barney and poor you. May it all revert to upswing time. And panic attacks are hideous; I know from experience.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Just checking to see how both you and dear Barney are doing...I hope both of you are "healing" well...!
HUGS are coming your way, my dear Geewits.....! (And a little kiss for Barney, too...He is sooooo cute and pretty, too....)

Anonymous said...

Gadzooks, it's always something, eh? I've been there with the panic attacks -- not for a long, long while now and not something I hope ever happens again, so I feel for you. And, doctors sometimes need a good smack to remind them they're human beings

JR's Thumbprints said...

Poor Kitty-Kat! Hope everything turns out.

geewits said...

Ian,
~~Yes. Hideous is a good word.

Naomi,
~~Your hugs have worked wonders. Barney is ready to get back to his old life and I have been fine to go out. Thanks!

Xup,
~~Gadzooks? hee hee. Yeah, I was afriad that doctor was going to show up on Wednesday while I was there but he did not.

JR,
~~Thanks! Hey dude, long time no see.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Ugh, what a week. I hope you'll all be smiling about it later...

I've never had to hit the brakes with my own anxiety, but I have had to walk my mother through her own attacks. I know they're real, unexpected, and absolutely no apologies are necessary. There's no warning, no explanation...these things just happen!--My day is coming, I know.

I hope Barney and Bill are toasting one another, soon!