Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Not About The Election

I had another plumbing adventure today. Last Wednesday my Meals-On-Wheels lady that I've had for 8 years told me her downstairs toilet was running. This is the lady for whom I have replaced two faucets. (Man was that an awkward sentence or what?) Anyway, AGAIN I forgot my camera so I made my own illustrations. When I pulled the top off last Wednesday, I saw that she had the old ball cock type thing in there. (I do not know many plumbing terms so don't laugh at me but ball cock is correct.)

Well these old things are no good so I told her I would replace it with the new kind which I did not know the name of until just now whan I googled "ball cock." The new kind is called "floating cup." I bought a Fluidmaster replacement kit yesterday and headed over there this afternoon after I voted. I figured it would take me about 30 minutes to do this. Ha ha ha ha. 30 minutes my eye. What happened was, when I pulled out the old plastic thingie, there was this stupid little metal tube sticking up into the tank.
There was no way to fit the new thing over that stupid metal pipe, so I figured I would remove the stupid metal pipe. But what happened was the shut off valve handle was sticking up over the nut which was already in a tight little spot.




As I drove over to Ace Hardware to get a flex pipe piece to replace the stupid metal pipe I got the idea to call one of my MOW guys that used to be a handyman type of guy. He told me there was a little screw in the shut off valve and I could use a Phillip's Head screwdriver to remove it. So I bought the new flex pipe and some rubber grippers so my channel lock thing wouldn't strip the cheap nut. I got back to the house and sure enough, there was that little screw and it came right out. I then used my channel locks and rubber gripper to remove the stupid metal tube. Unfortunately when I tried to fit the flex tube part over the thing it was too small. Because I was getting flustered at this point, I failed to notice the weird shape of the metal piece coming out of the wall.





Instead of just threads, there was this round ball-shaped thing (see above). All I did was find the guy again and tell him the thing was too small. The lady at the register was confused about how to make the exchange between a $3.99 piece and a $4.49 piece and said she would like to just charge me the difference and began to walk away. Man I thought I was bad about doing math in my head! I said, "It's fifty cents!" So she came back and I gave her fifty cents. Then halfway back I somehow remembered that weird ball-shaped thing. I pulled over and looked at my new piece and realized that it would not work. Then went back for my THIRD time. The guy knew what I was talking about but the connecting piece was designed for the original $3.99 flex pipe. So I went back to the poor lady at the register who still had that piece that I had bought the first time and told her I needed to change back to that and get this attachment and I had grabbed a diet Pepsi out of the case there. She tried to charge me $7 and some change and I said, "No that's not right. How much is the attachment and the Pepsi and now you owe me fifty cents." She was very flustered and said, "Okay, how about you give me $4.32 and we call it a day?" I said, "Okay, that's seems okay and I promise I will not come back." We both laughed. I went back and everything fit fine and I was done. So what I thought would take about 30 or 40 minutes took almost 3 hours. My MOW lady had the elections on the TV the whole time and said, "I will always remember this night with the elections and you coming and going and coming and going."



16 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOL, LOL....Is there anything you cannot do??? Say, how about fixing the Cables from The Cable Company....I've got this problem.....(lol)
OH HAPPY DAY!
OBAMA IS OUR NEW PRESIDENT-ELECT!!!! And I am at peace for the first time in a very very long time. I know it won't be a piece of cake. I understand that. But right now I am still thinking about what a fantastic historic night this is for our beloved country and how moved I am by what we have done!

VioletSky said...

Love the drawings.
Just your average Geewits the Plumber.

Jazz said...

Geez, is there anything you can't do? Remind me to call you in the next time I have plumbing problems...

Mr. Jazz said...

That is downright hilarious. I love your drawings. And to add icing to the cake (or the cherry on the sundae), you have a new president and consequently, plumbing will never be the same.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Great drawings. You should get a job working for the folks that write those assembly manuals.

Big Brother said...

You are a really good person Geewits... to help the old lady with her plumbing needs. And you're an artist to boot. Good for you.

ticknart said...

Now this, THIS is an Election Day story of hope.

Thank you, Geewits. Thank you,

Cycling Goddess said...

You are sooo talented. Hats off to you, you can fix plumbing AND draw about it. I bow to you...

Ian Lidster said...

The joys of pottie repair. Love your pics and, BTW, congratulations on the election.

Anonymous said...

You're a super good egg, Geewits. And I've been having a problem with one of my closet doors...would you mind stopping by next time you're in the neighbourhood?

Scarlet said...

I don't know what's better, the story or your drawings! lol

They both go beautifully together. Ever thought of illustrating/writing a how to children's book?

Carole said...

You always impress me with how multi-talented you are! Your drawings are hilarious and really good. They really do "show" exactly what you're talking about. What a funny...funny story!!

geewits said...

Naomi,
~~It was truly a wonderful night.

VioletSky,
~~When the lady opened the door, I said, "Your plumber's here."

Jazz,
~~There are many things I can't do it just seems to take a while for me to figure that out.

Mr. Jazz,
~~Thanks. I didn't think I could tell the story without pictures and well, I had forgotten my camera....

GnightGirl,
~~What, like "Plumbing for drunk ladies?"

Big Brother,
~~An artist? Ha! No, but I fare pretty well at Pictionary.

Ticknart,
~~Hey! Great to hear from you again. I'm glad I made you smile.

Urban Animal,
~~I'd be so happy if I could do electrical work too. I'm thinking about taking a class.

Ian,
~~Thanks and thanks!

Xup,
~~Closet doors are easy.

Scarlet,
~~I don't think they let old crazy drunks write children's books.

Carole,
~~You're sweet! Sorry about your TV.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

You really are a hero! Honest! And I like the illustrations too.

Michael said...

Yeah, you really can do it all -- tell a great story, be a great plumber, and I bet be an awesome pictionary partner.

geewits said...

LGS,
~~That's too kind. Goofy hero maybe.

Michael,
~~And I cook, too!