Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Still With the Holes in My House

We haven't had anyone official out yet, but our neighbor, a roofer, went up on the house with My Sweetie this evening. He says we can get our whole roof replaced. He's going to meet with My Sweetie and the claims adjustor tomorrow. I have a feeling the insurance company is going to say "No" to the whole re-roofing thing, but what do I know? The thing is I don't like this neighbor guy. I don't have a legitimate reason not to like him as we really don't know any of our neighbors - I just get bad vibes or something. Several years ago, the guy replacing our hot water heater recognized the guy's truck over there and said, "Is that 'whatchamacallit'?" And I said, "Yeah." And hot water heater guy said he used to work for my neighbor. I said, "Really, I don't like him." And the hot water heater guy said, "Yeah, he's an asshole." I hope I'm wrong about him because My Sweetie seems determined to let him do the work. I just hope if he does NOT get approval on the roofing, he will replace our skylights in a timely manner. I have the feeling he just wants the roofing job.
~
There was another storm system this evening and ping-pong and golf ball sized hail were reported west of us and of course, the storm was moving east. I was dreading it, but all we got was rain. Our tarp is still holding up. I wonder why hail is always described as various sized sports ball? If you've seen a large hail stones up close, they look more like heads of cauliflower than balls. I guess it would be too confusing to describe hail as a "two-inch cauliflower head" or a "three-inch cauliflower head."
~
Sunday was very nice and I actually sat in the sun doing nothing but listening to music and drinking beer for a whole 50 minutes. Then I did a little project on my deck. I attached a metal trellis to the end of one of the built-in benches. I'm going to put some sort of climbling plant in a pot there. I hope it looks nice. If it looks nice, I'll take a picture. It will probably take a month for it to start climbing well, so I guess I better get something planted there soon. A couple of planter boxes were damaged by the hail as well as two resin chairs.
~
Monday brought nice weather again so I tackled a project I thought of a couple of months ago. We had a lovely Rose of Sharon tree that died a couple of years ago that had a whole border thing around it with pebbles inside. We did some goofy quick fixes over the last two years like putting some large potted plants in there, but it just looked stupid, so I decided to let it be reclaimed by grass. I also have a very bad problem area in a raised box: no matter what I do, these horrid weeds grow in profusion in one large spot. I decided to relocate the rocks from the old Rose of Sharon bed to the raised planter. Basically I spent about 2 hours or more hauling rocks from one place to another. I kept thinking "Isn't there some sort of insect that spends its whole day moving rocks from one place to another?" The raised box looks really nice now, but the old bed still needs work. My Sweetie will have to remove the old metal border. I tried to pull at it with a pry bar, but I just don't have the arm strength.
~
The weather is supposed to be sunny and 74 degrees tomorrow for Meals on Wheels. My daughter is going to go with me one last time before she starts her new job on Monday. I hope everything goes well with the insurance guy tomorrow and the roofing guy. I'm not positive, but I think all work will be done from the outside. I hope so. If we get a new roof though, I wonder how the cats will act?

6 comments:

Jo said...

Geewits, my gosh, all you need now is a plague of locusts, and your life will be pretty much complete.

What are you going to plant on the trellis?

Josie

Jazz said...

OMG! I was about to say the same thing as Josie... Locusts would add a nice touch to the whole scenario, don't you think?

Ian Lidster said...

Glad things seem to be returning to normal for you. May they continue to do so. You've had your domicile trials this year, so may your sailing be clear from this point.

Ian

Anonymous said...

If locusts did come along, at least they might eat the weeds?

Glad you only got rain and not more hail.

I hope your meals and wheels goes well tomorrow. Hopefully your insurance guy will be a good guy and not cauliflowered out from all the hail damage.

Gary said...

I hope the plant looks nice. I want to see a picture.

geewits said...

Josie,
I'll have to find out what type of climbing plant will grow in full sun here. Oh, and the insurance guy didn't even show up today!

Jazz,
No locusts, I hope. I saw something creepy about them on "Planet Earth."

Thanks Ian,
Now to finish painting that bathroom!

J,
Yeah, he didn't show. MOW was fun today. And I think the rocks will cure my weed problem.

Gary,
As soon as it gets going, I will take a picture.