Thursday, April 27, 2006

The Song Remains the Same

I've always been a song person and a list person, so I've always had my lists of favorite songs. When I was growing up it was a yearly ritual to listen to Casey Kasem's top 100 countdown for the year. I would have a girlfriend spend the night on New Year's Eve and we would have snacks and our own notebooks, to write down the songs as they were played. And like watching American Idol today, there were the inevitable "Noooooo"s when we were shocked to hear a favorite song played at, say, number 65. The oddest thing was that nearly every year my favorite song came in second or third to my LEAST favorite song. I guess that was a sign of things to come. Plus it was a one radio station town, so there wasn't a lot of choice. If they wanted to play Delta Dawn every 30 minutes there was nothing to do but cringe and wait for time to pass. That was Goldsboro, N.C. Even after we moved to Durham, I continued my yearly ritual. For years and years my All-Time Favorite song was Diamond Girl, followed by Daniel.

As Radio stations like to play songs over and over, when I was a senior in High School and making my new start in Texas, KZEW - the morning ZOO - played Roxanne every morning while I was getting ready. That song was not only a great song but started my day. I just heard that song on the radio and realized that after all these years, all 27 of them, Roxanne is till my favorite song. It's just a great song and I think it reminds me of how I felt at the time. The word is evocative and I think all great songs, all of our favorite songs, take us to another time and place.

Diamond Girl slid way down my list over the years, although Daniel still places high up there somewhere. I have to admit I'd be hard pressed to make a top ten all time favorite list today, but I think I'd still put Roxanne as #1. Long Train Running would be up there somewhere from my memories of the beach summer of '73. And Unforgettable is my Dad song. Wow, I could go on and on, but I think everyone has a special relationship with their songs. Like they are family. Enjoy your songs, but if Delta Dawn is on your list, go away.

2 comments:

Phil said...

I can't argue with loving a classic Police song. I'd have to go with Should I Stay or Should I go by The Clash. By the way, could you tell me when I bought my new cat?

geewits said...

Who buys cats? Cats are found objects.