Sunday, April 09, 2006

Now I've Seen Everything

The following appeared in the Cheers and Jeers section of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram on Saturday, April 8th:

Jeers: To the Star-Telegram for frequently running crossword puzzles in which a clue results in the answer, "Okie." As a native Oklahoman, I don't find it amusing. Would you run a puzzle in which the clue "Jew" resulted in the K-word or the clue "black" required use of the N-word? Every time I see "Okie" as an answer, I stop doing that puzzle and start thinking about finding an alternative source of news. --John D. Slack, Fort Worth

I sincerely hope this was a joke. Although, if so, I can't imagine how it got past the editors. Maybe it was sent as an April Fool's Day thing, but that was a week earlier. If it's a REAL letter, I find it highly offensive AND about the stupidest thing I've ever read. I'm curious to see if anything happens with it. Are people really that weird? And now that I think about it, if it were sent in as an April Fool's Day joke, I STILL find it offensive.

No comments: