Sunday, April 02, 2006

Trying to Catch up to April

Wow, I can't believe April is here! The new kitty, Rufus, has been both exasperating and a great joy. I had forgotten how hard it is to teach a new cat all of the house rules. After all, it has been almost 9 years since I've done it. And Lilly was a very timid cat. Ole Rufus has boundless energy and curiosity. I have found him in the oddest places. Although I have taught him to use the scratch post, I'm still working on teaching where NOT to scratch. I replaced the hassock he was so fond of with a cat castle. He loves to sleep on top or just lay on top and look out the window, and Lilly likes to sleep inside. He really is cute.

My treadmill has been good for me. I actually enjoy just walking (treading?) along while I watch TV. I expect to drop 10 pounds pretty quickly. I've never had trouble shedding pounds as long as I was actually moving (as opposed to sitting on the couch and drinking beer). I have a specific weight and target date and I think it's quite doable. My target date is Memorial Day weekend. One extra benefit (besides the TV in front) is there is a ceiling fan just over the treadmill, so cool air is blowing on the back of my neck as I walk. It's a great set-up. The one downside is my right foot has not recovered 100%, so it's been a little stiff, sore and creaky since I started walking. But it's not enough to make me stop.

Meals on Wheels went well last Wednesday. I went to Bennigan's and they had a new bartender named James. I liked him. I'll probably go there again this Wednesday because I stopped by Italianni's Friday after my doctor appointment. Also this Wednesday is My Sweetie's birthday. He's going to love his gift. He reads this occasionally, so I can't say yet what it is. Every year we have one birthday party for the 3 April birthdays of: My Sweetie, my brother-in-law and myself. My brother-in-law makes a killer crab boil (crab legs, shrimp, sausage, cob corn and potatoes) and I bring the cake. The party is never on anyone's actual birthday, so I usually do something odd for the message. Last year it read: "Happy Birthday Henry Mancini," because it WAS on HIS birthday. I haven't decided what to put for this year's message.

Well I feel pretty much caught up. Oh yeah, my team, Duke got knocked out too early in the NCAA, so I burned my brackets in the fireplace. I did check in on the computer (CBS Sportsline) every now and then and it looks like I'll finish in the top half at least (of 41 players). It was a tough year for brackets but someone has to win the pot. I would have loved that $410, though. Nice pocket change. Okay, now I'm caught up. But I still can't believe it's April already!

No comments: