Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Another Year (and my truck just depreciated)


Wow! Another year has gone by. I saw the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey at the theater when I was 7. I didn't have a clue about what I was watching but I was enthralled by the whole idea of this fantastic future. I remember asking my big brother how old I would be and he said, "You'll be 40." Another concept beyond my grasp. Hell my parents were 30 and 32. And now 2001 was FIVE YEARS AGO!

I'm not a New Year's resolution type person, but I would like to exercise more. And after being "laid up" with this broken foot, I'm really looking forward to becoming more active this year. I also want to paint both hallways. With a COLOR. No more off-white for me. After all I did paint my bedroom mint, and the guest room grey with black trim. I'm thinking of something in a light golden-brown, or a rich light rust. I'll know it when I see it. I'm also really looking forward to getting back to my Meals on Wheels routine. I told them I would start back on the 18th. I hope I remember how to drive.

Our New Years weekend was fun and geeky. Friday night we watched more "Buffy," Saturday night I made homemade salsa, guacamole and chicken quesadillas and we had a "Nowhere Man" marathon. And although I guess this is trite, we had strawberries with our champagne. We did turn over at 11:00 to watch the ball drop. And we celebrated again for our own time zone. On Sunday I broke in my roasting pan that Mom gave me with a delicious pork roast. We had cabbage and mashed potatoes and I must say the best gravy I have ever made. And to cap off our geeky weekend, Sunday night we watched Serenity.

I've been trying to build up to being able to walk around for longer periods because Saturday is looming. My bad foot is still pretty swollen, but that is probably from disuse. And my back gets tired. I was up a lot today. We finally took our tree down and put away all the decorations. I had to take several breaks but I did spend a lot of time on my feet. Tomorrow night will be 7 weeks from the day I broke my foot. I'm really going to build up on walking time the next few days so getting through the airports on Saturday won't be overwhelming.

I'm actually finally looking forward to our trip. My Sweetie leaves Thursday from work, so I'll be home alone for two nights. The good news is my daughter has Thursday and Friday off. I think she will come by both days, but I told her I particularly need her to come by Friday night to help me cover the furniture. Our cats have their own bedroom and we put them in there at night and when we go out to eat or whatever, but we don't leave them in there for long periods, so I have to cover the couch and chairs when we go out of town. While they will not get on the furniture when we are in the house, they ALWAYS do when we are away. And if you're curious: it's not a bedroom in the human sense. It is a CAT room. It has cat trees and large boxes with holes cut in them and things to climb and jump on, nooks and crannies, pillows and and a bean bag. People may think I'm weird for having a cat room but my cats love it and it works for me.

The only time I was in San Diego, I stayed at the Hotel Del Coronado on Coronado Island, so this trip will be very different. We're staying in the Gaslamp_Quarter . It looks like a really cool area. I plan to take a LOT of bar breaks to rest my poor foot (snicker, snicker). I'm going to have every bartender take a picture of us. It's odd because the weather has been so unseasonably warm here, that it will actually be a lot cooler in San Diego (mid 60's) than here in North Texas (mid 70's and supposed to be 80 on Saturday - whoodathunkit?)

I hope I have time to post again before my trip, if not, the next post will be all about it. 2006. Wow.

No comments: