Saturday, December 04, 2010

Hey! Pass Me A Joint!

Joint pain is like the weather: Everybody talks about it but nobody does anything about it. I don't want to sound like an old geezer. Pain is not just for old geezers anyway. I remember coming home from ballet
class so sore that I would soak in the bathtub until my feet and hands pruned up. And I was in elementary school. I also remember the first (and only) time I tried to water ski. I was in 8th grade and I was so sore I didn't go to school that Monday. I didn't even get out of bed that Monday. I remember Mom coming in to ask me why I hadn't gotten up.
I said, "I can't move."
~
I've talked about the osteoarthritis in my thumb alot, but that was my right thumb. Now my left thumb is doing the same thing. It's in agony. Or maybe I am in agony. Can a thumb be in agony? It occurred to me that if they can do hip and knee replacements, they should be able to do thumb replacements. I want some new thumbs. I happen to think thumbs are pretty important. I probably use my thumbs more than I use my hips and knees.
~
And it's not just the joint pain that's so annoying, it's that sometimes it feels like I'm actually coming apart. My elbows feel like that sometimes too. And that probably is an old geezer thing because even when that rope tried to rip my arms right off of my body when I tried to water ski, I didn't feel like I was coming apart. I just couldn't move the next day.
~
Oh well, like joint pain and the weather, aging is another thing everybody talks about and doesn't do anything about. I'll just drink another beer. That's always good.

5 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I know all too well of what you speak, my dear. I AM an "Old Geezer" and the amount of pain I am in is just horrific...! Getting from room to room is becoming very very difficult and---speaking of the weather---Everytme there is a Weather change, and HERE it changes quite drastically a few times a day....(!@!!#!!)....Well, let's just say, it is near impossible.
So, I truly empathize with you and 'feel your pain', as they say---and if you ever come up with any kind of solution, PLEASE, shout it from the rooftops. Aging and Arthritus And "pain" are really NOT for sissies and I a becoming more and more of a sissy, with each passing day. I am so sorry you are going through all this with your thumbs. (One day I should post a picture of my right thunb---it is exremely misshapen from the big "A"....but Thank God, it doesn't hurt at the moment!)

BTW: I LOVE the title of your post. We mist keep our sense of humor if we can...lol!

Carole said...

Yep, me too. Woke up with a sore shoulder this morning, and last week my knee was so sore for just one day that I hobbled around all day. Had no idea why, and it went away as fast as it came on.
So two thumbs up for passing that joint! I'll do the thumbs up for you until yours are feeling better...and I hope that's real soon.

Anonymous said...

I'll join you with a bottle of wine. To each our poison.

- jazz

Jocelyn said...

You're doing a good job of trying to retain some humor here, but holy hell living with chronic pain is terrible. I'm really sorry. Can the docs give you some sort of shot in your thumb?

geewits said...

Naomi,
~~I'm sorry to hear you also suffer from this. And it must be more ditressing for you because you are an artist. I wish you well.

Carole,
~~Thanks, and can you also sanp your fingers for me sometime?

Jazz,
~~Poison? No. How about soul-balming nectar? hee hee

Jocelyn,
~~I was going to call about that Monday but the pain had gone away by then. The shot is hideous though. I posted about my shot in the other thumb. Yuck!