Saturday, December 18, 2010

Call Me Old-Fashioned, But....


I don't know why, but "trending" as a verb really irks me. I have a nice Oxford Dictionary made out of actual paper and in it "trend" is only
a noun. I guess it shouldn't bother me. I almost feel like a hypocrite.
I make up words all the time. I even have my own gerund-speak. For instance, if I want my husband to grab something that I am handing to him, I say, "Taking." Or if we get on an elevator and he is distracted I would say, "Pushing." Actually, gerund-speak has a slight hint of a question mark behind it. As in, "Are you going to push the elevator button?" But I would never, ever, under any circumstances, show him something that is cool and happening and say, "Trending."

2 comments:

Big Brother said...

Oh lord not another one... This one doesn’t even make sense... Call me old fashioned but most of these new words are barbarous.

Anonymous said...

I'd never heard that one. Nor did I need to...

But I love Taking...