Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Tree Day (sans video)

Preface: Apparently Blogger has some sort of VIDJam going on because after 4 attempts and what seems like 22 years, I have come to the conclusion that I will not be posting the accompanying video to this post. I am also unable to see videos on other blogger blogs. Blogger's a real prick this morning. So here's the post minus the video which I may attempt to post at some other time because, well because I want to.
~
~
See that guy up there in my tree?:

We had three trees in the front yard and one of them drooped menacingly over our roof. Here is the before picture:
And that pretty green stuff in the trees? No, those are not leaves. Well I guess technically they are leaves, but they are not leaves of the tree. All of that greenery is mistletoe. And while mistletoe is a big fun part of the Christmas tradition for some reason even though the whole kissing under it comes from Norse mythology, it is not a good thing. Nope, mistletoe will suck the very life out of a tree and that's why it's also sometimes referred to as "the vampire plant."
~
I had to get up super early for the tree guys. Carole and I had worked out a deal with the tree people to give them a whole day of work with some stuff at my house and some stuff at her house. And lucky me, I got "first shift." Actually, once I got used to seeing the sun coming from the other end of the street, I really got into how those tree guys do their thing. When I was taking my before pictures, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how they would get that tree (that tree hanging right over the house) down without it crashing right through the roof. They made it look pretty simple. I made a little video that you can check out at the end of this post maybe catch in the future if you want to see how they do it. And here's an after shot from the front:
And here's an after shot from the driveway:

As you can see, they did a great job. They got that one tree down in about an hour, and then it took two guys two hours to trim out all of that mistletoe from the other two trees as well as take out a few branches. They did a really great job and I can't wait to see what the trees look like in May.

6 comments:

Jazz said...

Somehow, kissing under the vampire plant just doesn't have the same charm.

I'm always amazed by what tree guys can do.

VioletSky said...

Poor tree, being kissed to death.
Nice sculpturing and trimming job.
Now you can see more sky in the morning!

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

You have a nice home and I like the trees too.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

A BIG BIG Job---Well done! It is scary when there is a tree hanging over one's roof....Good that it is now gone!

Carole said...

Gee, that tree was awful menacing! Eeeks! Great pics by the way! I love your last shot from the driveway. Those wintery trees (minus the vampire parasites) look starkly beautiful against that smoky blue sky. All in all made for an exciting day! I hope to see the videos soon too!

I always think the mistletoe in the trees around here looks kind of Dr. Seuss(ish).

I have some mistletoe in my tree..
methinks it's sucking the life from me!

geewits said...

Jazz,
~~Your comment made My Sweetie laugh out loud!

VioletSky,
~~There are two bedrooms behind those bushes on the left and those windows do get more light.

LGS,
~~Why, thank you!

Naomi,
~~I kept having fears that we'd get freezing rain and that tree would come crashing down.

Carole,
~~It does look sort of Suessish! But I'm glad it's gone!