Friday, January 19, 2007

Smells Like . . .

Except on Meals on Wheels Wednesdays, I usually start my day around noon and stay up until 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning. I also drink a lot of beer all day. I don't ALWAYS remember things I do at 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning. I got an e-mail the other day from a large big city newspaper asking my permission to publish my letter in their letters column. I had to go to my sent folder to figure out what the hell they were talking about. I can't say anything about it because I think they are going to use my real name.

A couple of weeks ago, again in the middle of the night, I got the great idea to send a suggestion to the S.C. Johnson company. About a week later I got a four page legal packet in the mail that contained
IMPORTANT INFORMATION
(yes it was in 36 pt. red all-caps boldface type) telling me how to legally submit my idea, along with a release form. I laughed and laughed. This line killed me:


Only those ideas with a patent or patent pending
application will be considered.

I don't have a copy of my "original idea" because I just filled in a box on their website, but I'm pretty sure it's not something you can patent. It was this:


Why don't you guys make a spray that smells like cedar?
That would be nice.

5 comments:

Jo said...

Well, I would buy it. :-)

djn said...

I would buy it too. Those silly attorneys at SC Johnson... They are WAY too serious for their own good.

Jammie J. said...

I guess in the alternative you could just wave some of those cedar moth balls around.

The moths might think you're crazy, though.

Dan said...

What kind of spray are we talking about here?

Bug spray, hair spray, air freshener spray?

Oh hell! I'd buy it regardless. Cause you're my friend! :)

geewits said...

Maybe Halston or Polo owns the patent on cedar smell - a lot of men's colognes do smell like cedar! It was just funny to me that I made such a simple suggestion and got all those legal papers. And Dan, AIR FRESHENER!