Monday, July 17, 2006

A Moment of Silence (Before We Weep)

I got this e-mail the other day:

Dear Valued Customer!
Thanks for doing your shopping online at Albertsons.com. In an effort to focus our attention on our in-store shopping experience, this service will no longer be available in your area as of July 21st. We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.
Although we'll be discontinuing this service, we want you to know that Albertsons values your loyalty. We understand that grocery shopping is just one of the many things you need to accomplish in your day. That's why we're committed to providing you with clean stores, fresh products and superior customer service.In short, the best shopping experience possible.We hope to see you in your local Albertsons store soon!
Albertsons, LLC
New Ideas at Work

I love that line "We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you." They have no idea. Grocery stores are HELL for me. Sometimes I'm okay if it's just a few items and I'm on my way home from Meals on Wheels, but in general, not so much. Usually after spending 3 hours "getting ready" to go to the grocery store, when I finally get there I am okay at first. Invariably I reach critical mass and a little sing-song voice in my head starts up with "I want to get out of here!" which plays over and over, usually with a little chorus of "I want to go home, I want to go home." I've even caught myself singing it out loud. Many times I've come very close to abandoning my cart and just running out of the store. Sometimes I just get very close to the breaking point and realize I need something on the other side of the store and I just can't seem to make it over there and just decide I don't need it. It's like trying to wade through a bog. Inconvenience? Ah, hell no, just a MAJOR crimp in my life. My Sweetie, who knows me so well, has tried to reassure me and said he would take me on the weekends, but then I feel bad because he works all week.

Saturday evening we made a short run to Tom Thumb and as we were getting close to check-out time he asked me if I wanted to wait in the car (I usually say yes) but I said, "No, I'm okay." I made it through the trip and we are pretty well stocked for a while. I'll be mourning the loss of having my groceries delivered for a while, but I will just have to get over it. I guess grocery shopping can become part of my Wednesdays out, but that may make me dread Wednesdays. In any event, it is what it is, and there is nothing I can do about it.

I think, for now, I'll just concentrate on my trip to North Carolina and seeing my beloved Atlantic Ocean. Aaahhh, I can almost hear the surf and the seagulls.

No comments: