Friday, July 14, 2006

Hollywood's Happy Couples


I usually wash my sheets every Monday, but on July 3rd, I thought I'd wait one more day. I knew my Sweetie would be home on the 4th and I had wanted to flip and turn the mattress for some time. Also, I figured this would be a good time to remove both mattresses and vacuum under the bed. I'm ashamed to say this but we have not done this in the 5 years since we've lived here. AND we have three cats. I was dreading what we would find. I imagined gross dried old hairballs and such. What I did NOT expect to find was a 1998 People Magazine. I can't for the life of me figure out how it got there. Not only that, but it was not from the last place we lived, it was from THE ONE BEFORE THAT! I seriously can't imagine how it survived two moves and ended up under my bed. But enough about that. The cover really floored me.

I don't know how clearly the picture is going to show up, but I'm sure you can see the headline and the line beneath it and the main picture. "Stars Who Beat The Odds and Make Love Last." That really kills me. Not one of the three couples are still together. In case you can't see the couples on the bottom right corner, they are (from left to right): Brooke Shields and Andre Agassi and Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger. We know Tom and Nicole are being cool for their kids. I imagine Brooke and Andre are still friends or at least not enemies, but Baldwin and Basinger freaking HATE each other! That quote from Tom & Nicole: "We will be on our honeymoon the rest of our lives" is not exactly false. I guess they are - just not with each other.

I just wonder why they picked these three couples for their cover. Inside, for the story, they also feature Steven Spileberg & Kate Capshaw, Harry Connick & Jill Goodacre and Tom Hanks & Rita Wilson along with several other couples that (as far as I know) are still very happily married. Of course they also feature Ted Turner & Jane Fonda and Harrison Ford & Melissa Mathison.

Here are some quotes: Kim Basinger says about Baldwin, "He trusts me to the ends of the world and I trust him." Brooke Shields on Agassi, "He was more important to me, ultimately, than anything else."

As for the"Weddings of the Year!" section featured in the top right corner, that's Cindy Crawford and Rande Gerber, who are still together. Inside the magazine, the only "wedding of the year" couple that jumped out at me was Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke. Not together.

Everyone (well except Brad Pitt and Jennifer Anniston, who went around saying stuff like, "Well we'll just see where this adventure takes us.") expects to be married forever. I'm really the last person who should say anything about these couples since I've been divorced twice. At least I was lucky enough to go through my divorces in private. If it ever comes up though, I will NOT make any grandiose pronouncements about the state of or future of my marriage to ANYONE. But I CAN say that My Sweetie and I will never get divorced. Hee hee hee. No, seriously. But that's off the record.



1 comment:

Jammie J. said...

Now that's a cover to make you think, eh? And what you wrote... for sure, I'm so glad I didn't have to air my laundry in public. That would be so difficult.

One of the things i remember was watching some awards show. At the time Tom & Nicole had been divorced just a few short months. Tom won an award and the camera flashed to Nicole. I don't know what they were hoping to show, but she was clapping just along with everyone else. Happy for him.