Friday, February 03, 2006

Some Stuff, a Recipe and a Movie Review

I was going to post about the really cool guy I met at the bar after Meals on Wheels, but then figured it wasn't a good idea. He told me a lot of cool stories about being on a submarine, but I'm afraid to say anything because I don't want the feds showing up at my house. He was very charming and we talked non-stop for about 2 hours. MOW went much better this time. I figured out how to work that security keypad thing at the one apartment complex and also found a better way to park at the other one. Oh and my daughter dropped in to have lunch with me after MOW. She has finally decided to work on getting in shape so I really hope that works out for her.

I've always had something I call "sign dyslexia." I'll see a sign and for just a moment think it says something totally different. I was at a stoplight Wednesday and saw a sign that said "Push For Cash." I thought "Push For Cash? What the hell does that mean?" The sign actually said "Posh Car Wash." It's a weird temporary brain dysfunction, but it can be pretty amusing.

Mini Movie review: We watched Flight Plan tonight. I liked it. I must mention though that I'm a HUGE Jodie Foster fan. I thought the movie critics did a good job of not giving too much away, because I was actually surprised at the end. Peter Saarsgard gave a great performance but sometimes we felt he was doing an impersonation of John Malkovich. And it was nice to see Sean Bean playing such a different role. If you love thrillers, you should watch this one.

Mangled lyrics have always cracked me up. It's when someone sings a song wrong: like my Mom thought the song was "Medieval Woman." (That's "Evil Woman.") My daughter used to think the words were "sister, sister" instead of "Mr. Big Stuff." Well tonight I was singing Adam Ant's "Goody Two Shoes," and when I finished My Sweetie said, "That's wrong. It's what you do, you do. I've listened to that song thousands of times." I said, "No it's not, it's 'What do you do?'!" He was insistent and we looked it up on the internet and of course I was right. So then I was imitating him saying what he thought it was and we laughed and laughed. Yeah, he's not going to hear the end of that for a while.

A simple quick yummy spicy dinner: I marinated some chicken tenders in a small can (about the size of a vienna sausage can) of smoked chipotles in adobo sauce and garlic powder for a couple of hours. Salt and pepper them, then cook in a skillet with olive oil and a little butter. For the side dish I used Del Monte's Santa Fe corn mixture - it's with black beans, tomatoes and red and green peppers, and I added a little chipotle chili powder and ground cumin. It was a quick and yummy dinner. When I make it again, I think I'll sprinkle some grated cheddar over the corn.

Tuesday I made a pillow case for the body pillow we keep at the head of our bed. It turned out great. I hadn't sewed (sewn?) in ages. I need to take some pictures of that. The goofy part is I think I bought the material 3 years ago.

Speaking of goofy. I've been trying to walk normally without limping and I forgot how. I forgot how to walk! I've been practicing. I have to actually make a conscious effort not to limp.

Duke beat Boston College Wednesday night. It was a great game. The fans were nuts there - almost as intense as the Cameron Crazies. They got quiet when we had our big lead, then BC had a big run near the end and the fans were going bonkers, but Duke held on and we had another win. Yay! So that's it for now. Good Night and Good Luck.

No comments: