Sunday, February 12, 2006

Let The Games Begin

I've been very busy doing major house cleaning. I usually spend the two weeks after Thanksgiving doing major cleaning for my annual Christmas party and well, if you've been reading this, you know I broke my foot the week before Thanksgiving. So the clutter was driving me mad, but now the house is almost better than usual. I'll recap the last few days:

Wednesday: Meals on Wheels was short and sweet. I didn't have the lady in the apartments with the convoluted security system, so everything went very smoothly. I arrived at my usual lunch place and everything was pleasant as usual. My daughter called and showed up just as I was through eating and finished my meal. (That may sound strange but the food is great and the portions are ridiculously large.) She looked really nice. Chris the magician did some great new tricks. Well, then the guy I met last week that I thought was so cool showed up and unfortunately, just after my daughter went back to work, he, the bartender and myself got into the most ridiculous political argument ever. I decided when I started this blog not to discuss politics, so I'm sticking with that and I won't go into it. I'll just say I'm right and they were stupid. And it annoyed the hell out of me. So basically instead of going there every Wednesday, I've decided to do a weekly rotation with the two restaurants I used to frequent and a third restaurant that I haven't picked yet. That way, I'll only hit every place once a month. Also I'll have a lot more options for lunch. I like this new plan. I'm thinking Red Lobster for my 4th place because I really should eat more fish, but it's still up in the air.

Thursday: I pretty much finished up the bar room. We call this room the bar room, but it doesn't really describe it. It does have a wet bar along the short wall and a separate standing bar. I use the freestanding bar as a craft station. For some reason I can not explain, I like to stand to do things and this bar is perfect for that. Also the sink in the wet bar is great for crafting that requires water or rinsing (for paint brushes and such). This room also has the two corner desks with computers, a TV and a stereo. It also has a half wall (by the wet bar) of built-in shelves which house our DVDs and videos. Well I totally digressed. Anyway I cleaned and de-cluttered the hell out of this room, whatever we should call it.

Friday: More intensive cleaning and de-cluttering. This time it was the bedroom. I actually found the receipt from the birthday cake I bought last April. That's really pathetic. And then Friday night we watched the opening ceremonies for the 2006 Winter Olympics. Okay I have to comment on that now.

What the hell was going on there? Brian Williams was all "Debbie Downer" during the part where the athletes file in. Every other country that arrived, he would talk about the bad political happenings going on there. Man, it was annoying! We noticed after a commercial break he stopped talking at all and we were making jokes about how they got rid of him. Bob Costas was giving OLYMPIC facts and telling OLYMPIC stories about the countries. Yeah, that's what the Olympics are about. I don't want to hear every horrible story about a particular country. Hell, we get that on the regular news and in the newspaper every day. Other than that we are very excited that the Olympics have started. And we saw Chad Hedrick (from right here in Texas!) win the first gold medal for the U.S. That's good stuff.

Speaking of sports: Duke had it's second game vs. Maryland today. At Maryland. It was great. We won 96-88 and never trailed. When we played Maryland at home last month the Cameron Crazies chanted "You're not our rival, you're not our rival," so today we kept chanting that. We really get into these games! The team is playing better and better and a spot in the Final Four looks very likely right now. For the next two weeks, the only thing we will watch besides the Olympics are Duke games. I don't know how we're going to keep up with "Lost" and "Survivor," but I'm sure we'll figure something out.

Anyway, that's what's been going on and as they say, "Let the Games Begin!"

No comments: